Question

Play 5

• 25 October 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +3
Hello everyone,

I have a Playbar and Sub in my living room, 2 x Play 1's in the dining room and 2 x Play 1's in my bedroom which is on the second floor of my house. I am thinking of adding a Play 5 to enhance the sound further on the ground floor.

The play ones are paired in their respective rooms for music.

Is it worth the investment and will it improve the existing set up I have?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
These are hard questions because they depend on so many factors. Not least of which would be how much music you listen compared to talk radio stations. Also, what are your watching habits (Would you appreciate surrounds).

There's no doubt that the Play 1 stereo pair in your Dining Room could benefit from improved bass (I assume this is where your "main" music listening is done).

So I think you have a number of choices:-

1) Move the Plays 1s in your Dining Room into your Living Room and set as surrounds - Assuming that you are able to feed the Playbar Dolby Digital 5.1 this will significantly enhance the audio experience of watching films and shows. Then Add a Play 5 in the Dining Room - Make it a stereo pair at some later point if you feel the need

2) Add a Sub to the stereo pair of Dining Room Play 1s

3) Leave as is.

Hope that helps
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'd get another stereo pair of PLAY1s rather than a single PLAY5. A stereo pair of PLAY5s is spectacular sounding, but a single one isn't as loud nor as full as stereo P1s - primarily because you can physically place each player more than 18" away from each other ( which is the distance between the left and right channels on a single P5). I like my PLAY5; I love my strereo paired P1s.
Badge +3
Thanks all, much appreciated

I was under the impression I could not have more than one Sub?

Adding another pair of P1's sounds like a plan and the cheapest, however a stereo pair of P5's will be awesome too!
You are limited to one Sub per Room, but you can have more than one Sub total.
Sonos can be addictive; but looking at what you have, I doubt there is need for another speaker. Unless there is a room to which you want to extend music coverage.
Badge +3
Hello everyone. I couldn't help it...................the dining room has paired P5's and the living room has full surround sound with the additional P1's from the dining room.

The sound quality in both cases is absolutely fantastic.

Should I also invest in a Sonos Boost to ensure single committed network for the overall system.

Thanks again for all your advice, it has been most helpful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hello everyone. I couldn't help it...................the dining room has paired P5's and the living room has full surround sound with the additional P1's from the dining room.

The sound quality in both cases is absolutely fantastic.

Should I also invest in a Sonos Boost to ensure single committed network for the overall system.

Thanks again for all your advice, it has been most helpful.

Excellent news

I'd wait to see how it all goes. if it's stable then happy days. If not and you can wire one of the other units to the router else a Boost should help