Question

Pin Code Access

• 14 July 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
I would like to have a Pin Code to stop unwanted users on my network to access the Sonos

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Presently you must not allow them on your network. If you are one of the many where this wouldn't work you are SOL.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Your best option is to run a guest network for people who can't be trusted with Sonos access. (Truthfully, for everyone who isn't your family, that's always the best option)

I'd strongly argue that anyone who can't be trusted with the volume control to your music is not someone you should give unfettered access to your network anyway, but I can appreciate that the request isn't uncommon. I don't think it'd be hard to implement either.
Or use a travel router that connects to the hotel's wifi, and then your Sonos speaker connects to the wifi router's SSID.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos needs a PIN-security feature.

No person on my Wifi can access my Spotify. Or my NAS. Or my harddrive. Come to think of it, no other network appliance treats wifi as a "if you're on the wifi, then access is granted".

What happens when you have Sonos at work? We're all on the same network there. Or on a hotel, like the other user was saying.

For me this is a case of isloated testing vs. real world scenario. It wouldn't be too hard to just have a four-digit PIN-code when launching the app. (And even easier to make it an optional feature in Settings if needed)

Please Sonos - consider this feature.

Regards,

Andreas
Happy new owner of several Sonos speakers.
I would certainly expect that the feature is on the backlog for the development team, but I'd have to wonder about the priority associated with it.
I also need this, I live in a hotel suite and have done for a long time, problem is the hotel guests all have the same wifi network so those users who log on and open their sonos app can play in my rooms! Even although they cannot hear anything (its a huge hotel) they still try - and make it louder, and during the dead of night! Help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I also need this, I live in a hotel suite and have done for a long time, problem is the hotel guests all have the same wifi network so those users who log on and open their sonos app can play in my rooms! Even although they cannot hear anything (its a huge hotel) they still try - and make it louder, and during the dead of night! Help!

The only sensible advice I can give is to unplug the speaker