Outside speakers Plus Onkyo Amp - Out to add Sonos (S2)

• 24 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello. I currently have a Sonos Connect Amp (S1) connected to my Onkyo Receiver which is in turn connected to my outside passive speakers.

how to I update this zone to S2? Sonos Port is 500$ and I don’t need external audio source AND I don’t need amplification. I just need my outside speakers to become a Sonos S2 zone. Is there a way to to this? 

If Sonos Port is the only way, then shame on you Sonos! There has to be another way right?

Thanks for your help.

Frederic.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Fred_12, thank you for reaching out to us and we appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

First I'd like to ask questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Are you getting an error when you update to the S2 system? What was the error message?
  2. What is the make and model of your Onkyo receiver?
  3. Are you using an iOS or Android device? What is the software version?

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information. If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Badge +1

Hello Rowena. My Connect:Amp is not compatible with S2 (according to Sonos site). I have not tried to upgrade to S2 yet. I’m using IOS latest version.

From what I understand, I need to change my Connect:Amp in order for my outside speakers to be part of the S2 setup.

Can you please tell me what the S2 options are for this setup? From what I saw, only Sonos Port can replace my Connect:Amp. But at 500$, the price is too high for the purpose. I don’t need amplification, I don’t need an external sound source. I only need an S2 zone. Some piece of Sonos hardware connected to my Onkyo HT-R2295, which is in turn connected to my oudoor passive speakers.

Thanks.

PS: This setup works fine with S1. I have no problems with it. I just need to be clear on what I need to do in order to upgrade it to S2.

The Port is the only S2 device that can send audio to your amp.   Since you have a connect:amp already, you should be able use the trade in/upgrade program to get 30% off of a Port, bringing that price down to $350 CAD.  You can also sell your connect:amp if you wish at that point.

Badge +1

I have just read that some later versions of Sonos Connect are compatible with S2. If only I can put my hands on one...