Outdoor Zone Player

Userlevel 2
I have a house with a deck and 100 feet away is the beach with a lake. I have speakers (Bose outdoor) that I ran speaker wire to from the house. I hoping that that range of the zone player in the house will connect with the controller that I am taking to the beach, but I'm not too comfortable that it will, therefore, I either need an outdoor zone player or a signal repeater.

71 replies

Userlevel 2
my home is on the beach I just got my system, cant wait to hook it up outside outdoor controller pad would be nice
Userlevel 2
I didn't search to see what threads there are on this topic, but I'd also like an outdoor zone. I figure exposure to elements and ensuring network range make this a tough one?
Userlevel 2
I noticed this the other day on a UK website:

http://www.firebox.com/product/1798?src_t=sbk&src_id=solar

I have no idea what the quality is like but the range seems pretty good and hey it's free energy!!

Some food for thought maybe.
Interesting device. They neglect to mention how long it might take the sun to recharge the batteries. I'm not sure what functions the two AAA cells support, but they won't support audio very long.

In an open space (no walls) a SONOS system will probably cover 100 feet.
Badge
I currently have two zones outdoors that I had purchased before the availability of the S5. For the last two years, I've had a ZP120 and a ZP100 living in sealed tupperware containers outside each driving a pair of rock speakers near my patio and pool. They've survived the heat, cold, sprinklers and rain just fine and haven't had any issues except for the occasional overheating on hot August days.

I'd like to see a weatherproof, sealed, properly grounded, amplified zone player rated for outdoor use, say up to ~45C.
Userlevel 2
This would be a great addition! I have had difficulty getting consistent reception outdoors with the current ZP120 I have been using outside and I am always concerned about water damage. Problem with reception may be aluminum siding preventing a good signal, but I am sure I can place a zonebridge in a window to fix that issue. It would be very nice to see a waterproof version that is at least splash resistant for use around the pool and spa.
Userlevel 2
Or one where you can connect an external directional antenna.

I have a garage , 40 meters away from my home , where i want to put a ZP120.
Wiring the network to the garage is not possible.
Userlevel 2
It seems as the next obvious step for Sonos is to provide us with an outdoor version of S5, preferrably as a battery powered unit. That would make this system outstanding to any competitor.

Let's bring this to the attention of the Sonos team. I know they listen to their customers!!

Imagine an S5 which you can move around around your house and not bother about weather or power supply.

The Soundcast OutCast product line could be a good inspiration!!!
http://www.soundcastsystems.com/categories/speakers

Hurry please, Sonos.
Userlevel 2
I currently have two zones outdoors that I had purchased before the availability of the S5. For the last two years, I've had a ZP120 and a ZP100 living in sealed tupperware containers outside each driving a pair of rock speakers near my patio and pool. They've survived the heat, cold, sprinklers and rain just fine and haven't had any issues except for the occasional overheating on hot August days.

I'd like to see a weatherproof, sealed, properly grounded, amplified zone player rated for outdoor use, say up to ~45C.

And outdoor version of the S5 would be great. Make it optionally battery-powered and portable to make it a flexible component. Please make it sea-air friendly! I live by the ocean.

Currently I keep lugging my S5 back and forth from inside and out when I want to use it outside.
Userlevel 2
[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][/font]This would be a great addition! I have had difficulty getting consistent reception outdoors with the current ZP120 I have been using outside and I am always concerned about water damage. Problem with reception may be aluminum siding preventing a good signal, but I am sure I can place a zonebridge in a window to fix that issue. It would be very nice to see a waterproof version that is at least splash resistant for use around the pool and spa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • [COLOR="Navy"]Whatever happended with this? Are they developing one?
  • Develop a player that can be placed outside, protected from the elements[/color].

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEGoodman,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

As a company policy, SONOS does not publish their development schedule. New developments arrive when they arrive, with no warning.

The latest example is access to Wolfgang's Vault. There have been forum requests for Wolfgang's Vault, but no announcement that SONOS was working on this. Suddenly, this week, Wolfgang's Vault became available on SONOS.

While SONOS staff does not dialog in the forums about their development schedule, they do read all of the suggestions.
Badge
It seems as the next obvious step for Sonos is to provide us with an outdoor version of S5, preferrably as a battery powered unit. That would make this system outstanding to any competitor.

Let's bring this to the attention of the Sonos team. I know the listen to their customers!!

Imagine an S5 which you can move around around your house and not bother about weather or power supply.

The Soundcast OutCast product line could be a good inspiration!!!
http://www.soundcastsystems.com/categories/speakers

Hurry please, Sonos.

X2

I'm new to Sonos. I picked up a ZP90 to test it out and the family loves it so I've got a Zone bundle 250, with another ZP120 on the way but the one thing I noticed was missing was a rechargeable battery-operated portable Zone player.

We currently have a Recoton portable speaker system info here which I can still use as I can plug my ZP90 into the wireless out. However, this device is outdated and needs to be replaced. A weather-proof rechargeable battery-powered S5 would be the perfect replacement in the meantime we've been using a Bose portable sound dock but then we are limited to just the music on the iPod and cannot take advantage of the radio or other features with the Sonos.

Here's hoping this product is developed some day.
Userlevel 2
I've been using Sonos for a little over 6 years I think and I've been waiting for a portable outdoor zone player since I bought my first ZP.
Userlevel 2
My household are zoners. We love our Sonos system and the only areas on the property where we are lacking a zone is the deck and pool area. We would love to see an outdoor Sonos Zone player that we can add to our mesh and think it would be a great addition to the product line.

Although I like the idea of the tupperware container...

G
Userlevel 2
Ok, so I have one bridge and one sonos5; if I purchase wireless outdoor speakers, where do I plug them in? I see lots of recommendations on wireless outdoor speakers, but not what is needed with SONOS to get the speakers up and running.

Thanks for your help.
Anyone care to share any views on whether it would be crazy to install a pair of S5s under an outside verandah in the south of England?

Two concerns:

Climate: It rarely gets below -5 (C), and if it did I'd probably remember to bring them in, but can get foggy and hence condensation could be a problem.

Sound: The reviews are generally excellent, but I haven't found (despite diligent searching, promise) any views on outside performance.

Best

T
Userlevel 2
Anyone care to share any views on whether it would be crazy to install a pair of S5s under an outside verandah in the south of England?

Two concerns:

Climate: It rarely gets below -5 (C), and if it did I'd probably remember to bring them in, but can get foggy and hence condensation could be a problem.

Sound: The reviews are generally excellent, but I haven't found (despite diligent searching, promise) any views on outside performance.

Best

T

I find the S5 a bit boomy indoors in small rooms and have to reduce the bass volume. Outdoors the bass volume balance is close to perfect

I always take mine indoors when not in use
Userlevel 2
For outside play. If BOSE can do it, you can (even with the WIFI).
Userlevel 2
Would love to see a S5 lookalike encapsulated for outdoor usage, to mount on a wall at our garden dining place. 🆒
Badge
I ended up running CAT6a alongside electricity and whatnot down to the pool area. With outdoor speakers installed and a ZP120 in a little enclosure (with power outlets etc) I'm good to go.

All I miss is a waterproof controller which also floats 🙂
Userlevel 2
As a UK Sonos reseller I'd personally love to see an outdoor version of the Sonos S5. Here's how I see it. An all-in-one zoneplayer that can connect wirelessly as usual using Sonos.net, with weatherproof casing and with a built-in battery power source. There is a gap in the market here. The only decent wireless speaker solution we have found for use with Sonos is the Outcast by Soundcast. What a fantastic idea it would be if Sonos had an outdoor music solution, no external power required, no speaker wiring, delivering all of the Sonos music services into your garden with minimum fuss.

Cheers,
Garry Pearson.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
+1 for this, provided it has a 3.5mm headphone socket so that I can plug in my Bose Noise-Cancelling Headphones. My garden is in close proximity to two others, and I do not wish to upset my neighbours, who probably do not share my musical tastes!

Of course there are other ways of listening to music outside, but I would prefer to stick with a SonosNet solution with access to exactly the same music as I can hear indoors. I only have one more ZP120 to add to complete my plan. It will be in our Conservatory, and probably wired back to my Root Bridge. So ideally placed to give a good wireless link to an external box such as Garry describes. No external box = no more Sonos spends for me!
Badge
Personally I hope it never eventuates as when I am sitting in the great outdoors - be it my balcony, terrace, on the beach or a picnic spot in the country I like to hear the sounds of nature - as in bird calls, frogs croaking etc. rather than some git with a ghetto blaster inflicting their choice of noise pollution on everyone within earshot - usually a radius of 200 metres (220yards for the unmetricated).
An outdoor S5 would be a great product. I have requests for one on every install.

Sonos Dealer
Userlevel 2
great idea, please do it, sonos people!