Outdoor Speakers configuration

• 19 June 2018
  • 4 replies

I currently have my Sonos Connect Amp wired to my outdoor Yamaha Speakers. I would like to use those speakers occasionally for outdoor movies without having to disconnect the wires and connecting new wires to them from the projector. Any thoughts on what I would need to buy to add to my Connect Amp?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have a similar situation. I don't use a projector, but I do roll a tv outside occassionaly that I would like to play through the outdoor speakers.

The connect:amp does take rca inputs (your projector probably has rca outputs), but you would probably need a really long cable for that. I have about a 50 ft cable I got from mycablemart.com. There are also some wireless solutions out there to send the audio from the projector to the connect:amp. I didn't go this route though as I knew I could do they cabling without too much trouble. The other aspect is that the connect:amp isn't built to sync with video. It has a built in buffer delay so that it can be in sync with other sonos speakers. It may not bother you...it definitely bothered me.

I'm considering buying a separate non-sonos amp to take inputs from the tv and a sonos connect (not amp, I happen to have a spare one). That should resolve the delay issue. There are amps out there should drive the speakers just fine, and have auto-sensing inputs so that I won't have to manually switch between tv and sonos. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I have a connect amp connected to my patio speakers. I ran RCA cables from the audio out on my patio tv back to the connect amp line in. It works well.
I have a connect amp connected to my patio speakers. I ran RCA cables from the audio out on my patio tv back to the connect amp line in. It works well.

No syncing issue? I did the same and the audio was out of sync too much to be acceptable.
No syncing issue? I did the same and the audio was out of sync too much to be acceptable.

Only slightly noticeable if the tv speakers are turned up with the patio speakers. It’s fine using only the patio speakers. With that said, I run into problems if I have my den, patio, and kitchen TVs on with my Sonos speakers in each room, since my den has an HD box and the other two TVs have analog boxes. The video/sound are delayed over HD.