Question

Outdoor Speaker question

• 18 July 2017
  • 5 replies

I am using a Sonos Connect Amp to connect my outdoor speakers. How do I make each of my two polk outdoor speakers into single high-performance stereo loudspeaker rather than left/right speakers in a high performance stereo pair? The two speakers are very far apart, so I need each to put out full range of sound rather than left/right stereo sound.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That isn't possible as far as I know
Were you able to accomplish this before? I agree, I don't think this is possible as the speakers aren't design to play stereo. I have seen in-ceiling speakers designed to play stereo, but never looked for something outdoors.

Personally, I would recommend that you invest in 2 additional speakers, so you have 2 pair. The connect:amp shouldn't have a problem driving both pair. This is actually what I did for my backyard, as it is rather wide.
After reading a number of replies and similar questions, the question is really about mono sound. I know the Connect Amp is meant to supply stereo sound, but I want mono sound out of each speaker. Is there a wiring trick or a converter/splitter that changes stereo to mono?
I'm not aware of anything to do that at the 'speaker wire' level. There are rca cables and such that can do this. So, you could bring in mono sound through the line in of the connect:amp and achieve what you want, but you're not utilizing all that the amp can do at that point. It may be worth looking into as a test. I have a feeling that you'll be disappointed with the mono setup you're suggesting, and end up getting additional speakers anyway.
you're not utilizing all that the amp can do at that point. It may be worth looking into as a test. I have a feeling that you'll be disappointed with the mono setup you're suggesting
There is good reason why the OP is looking for this; I wish I could see a mono toggle on the Connect Amp too. When external speakers are meant to address different part of an outdoors area by being placed close to the addressed space, having the speaker play only one of two channels defeats the purpose significantly and summed mono would deliver better quality.

I believe there is a way to do this that involves soldering irons and a resistor; I haven't ventured in that direction and live with the compromise.