Answered

Optoma HD31UST audio to Sonos Play:1

• 22 January 2019
  • 2 replies

I currently have an Optoma HD31UST projector which acts as my TV and Chromecast device. It has a built in speaker with very poor audio quality. I would like to hook up my two Sonos Play:1 speakers to the projector via a Sonos Connect.

The projector has an analog audio out so that should work with the Sonos Connect.
I'm just wondering if there will be a delay in the audio, as it will need to go wirelessly via the Connect to the speakers.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Stijn
icon

Best answer by Sjoop1985 22 January 2019, 21:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I currently have an Optoma HD31UST projector which acts as my TV and Chromecast device. It has a built in speaker with very poor audio quality. I would like to hook up my two Sonos Play:1 speakers to the projector via a Sonos Connect.

The projector has an analog audio out so that should work with the Sonos Connect.
I'm just wondering if there will be a delay in the audio, as it will need to go wirelessly via the Connect to the speakers.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Stijn

Hi Stijn,

Welcome to the community. When using an analog line-input with Sonos there will be a slight delay to allow for the processing needed to stream that audio to other Sonos speakers. This delay can be reduced by changing the compression level of the line-input to uncompressed in the advanced settings menu. This can lead to performance issues though, as line-inputs can often use a large amount of bandwidth. The audio delay may still be noticeable though. You can read more about using line-in with Sonos here.

The Sonos home theater lineup uses digital audio inputs and 5 ghz antennas to reduce the lag for audio that syncs well with video.
The Connect is intended to add existing audio equipment to the Sonos ecosystem, it can bring audio from a non-Sonos source to Sonos, but that is not its main purpose. As you will be using standard room grouping to have the play 1s play the Chromecast audio, you will incur at least 60 ms of delay from the grouping. If compression is required, this delay will increase.
If you do not already own a Connect and were planning to purchase one, you should consider a Beam instead. It's a comparable investment and one that is technically suited to what you need. At a first Googling, I can't find if this projector supports ARC. If it does, the Beam will give you exactly what you seek, if not, you might need an HDMI audio extractor to get the audio to the Beam. It will free up your play 1s for another purpose.

In general, the Playbar, Playbase, Beam and Amp are built for "TV" audio without delay. Trying to use one of the other products from the lineup for this is often technically challenging and can almost never achieve the same result.