Answered

Onkyo TX-8160 delay between sonos and analog speakers (using Port)

• 13 January 2021
  • 3 replies

So I just got a sonos port because I wanted to be able to add my sonos play 1 speakers to my analog speakers to listen to use my turntable. The setup I have is a TX-8160 onkyo receiver and a technics turntable. 

When I stream music via the sonos app (i.e. the port is the source of the music) the sonos play and analog speakers are in sync. 

When I play the receiver (e.g. radio, turntable, etc.) the sonos play is out of sync with my analog speakers. 

After some trouble-shooting I am able to deduce that the sound processing in the onkyo is creating the delay. Now I am wondering:

1. Do all receivers cause the same problem?
  2. Is it impossible to go from a receiver to the port and synchronize the signal?
  3. Can the signal only come from the sonos app (i.e. the port) to have synchronicity between the sonos speaker and analogs?
  4. Are there reasonably priced receivers that do not have this problem?

I talked to sonos tech support and they said that the receiver is the issue but they couldn’t tell me if this is a common issue because most people are streaming music and not going in the opposite direction.

please help!

icon

Best answer by ratty 13 January 2021, 08:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If there is no loss of sync when streaming internet music sources then the receiver is not the issue. Sonos Support were incorrect. The timing offset is due to the Line-In delay through the Sonos system, from the Port to the Play:1s. 

What you need to do is get the receiver to play back the Line-In signal from the Port. Typically this is via a "tape monitor loop" or some such facility. This will be subject to the same delay as the Play:1s. 

That worked!

I owe you a beer. I don't understand why tech support was insisting that it was the signal processing...

I don't understand why tech support was insisting that it was the signal processing...

That’s a different problem, which can arise if any external delay (in the receiver) can’t be defeated by a ‘direct’ mode. You confirmed that other music sources were fine. 

Besides, the Line-In delay issue is very well known. The ‘loop back’ trick perhaps isn’t in Support’s armoury of suggestions...

By the way, if you hadn’t already got there you should configure Line-In compression to Uncompressed for best quality. If you subsequently suffer from the odd dropout then dial up the Line-In delay setting.