Onkyo Receiver, Sonos Connect, and Multiple Zones

• 9 June 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a quick question in regards to the Onkyo receivers that now “works with Sonos”. I understand the model receivers that now work with Sonos (if you purchase a Connect), but I’m curious if you can actually use the different zones of the receiver as different Sonos zones (through the sole Connect)?

For example if the receiver has its one Sonos Connect plugged into it and has the three zones hard wired as such: main zone is 5.1 living room, zone two is porch, and zone three is patio. Can you independently control each zone through the Sonos App? Or would you have to use the Sonos App to turn on music through the receiver and then go to the Onkyo app to control its zones and inputs (which would completely defeat the purpose of what I’m trying to achieve)?

I currently have a fantastic Yamaha receiver but if purchasing just one Connect and the subsequent Onkyo receiver can control the three zones, I may just pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance for the help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

I don't know for sure but I would very surprised if your Sonos player would be aware of the AV Receiver Zones. As all Sonos players have a buffer to maintain a synchronisation of music across multiple rooms, the method for doing so is owned by Sonos, your AV Receiver would need to replicate this function - something I would very much doubt that Sonos would allow.
100% agree with UKMedia on this. I haven't heard anything beyond on/off, input switching, and volume as functions you can do through the sonos.

Another reason i think it won't be done is because there isn't reallya standardon zone features for receivers as far as i know. That would complicate matters. The other features are standard.

Also, if your Yamaha is relatively high end, has wifi, and can take a firmware update, i wouldn't trade it on just yet. I expect other brands of receivers to 'work with Sonos' coming as well. You could use the money you save to buy a connect:amp and atleast have a second zone controlled through Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
When I first heard about the onkyo / works with sonos partnership, I was kinda hoping it would basically mean that a sonos connect was effectively built into receiver directly. I realise this would resuce potential sales of connects to some extent. But I was figured that might be offset in the licensing fee and cost of the receiver. And whilst the current feature set of the integration is somewhat limited it is a great step forward all the same.

Taking the concept further Imagine the possibilities if sonos control and distribution tech was built direct into high end receivers. Sonos by definition would sell a ton of speakers to purchasers of such devices and the heavy lifting of the integration would be pushed onto the receiver. A hugely sclable andnflexible system where sonos could be the speaker brand of choice thoughout where wireless was desirable.
Has anyone found an answer to this question? We are setting up 5 zones and would really like to leverage Sonos connects/amps with an Onkyo receiver if we can control multiple audio sources via the Sonos app. Ideally I’d like to run 5.1, patio and dining room off the 9.1 receiver and be able to play music via the Sonos app in any one of the 3 zones at will. Is that what “works with Sonos” compatibility will do? Thanks!
Has anyone found an answer to this question? We are setting up 5 zones and would really like to leverage Sonos connects/amps with an Onkyo receiver if we can control multiple audio sources via the Sonos app. Ideally I’d like to run 5.1, patio and dining room off the 9.1 receiver and be able to play music via the Sonos app in any one of the 3 zones at will. Is that what “works with Sonos” compatibility will do? Thanks!

That's more of a question for your onkyo receiver. The Sonos connect will provide one stream of audio to the receiver, and that will be represented as one room/zone in the Sonos app. What your receiver can do with that stream (coming in through a wired connection) to play in your 3 various zones depends on the specific receiver. What 'works with Sonos' essentially means in this context is that when you play music on the connect, your receiver will automatically turn on and switch to the Sonos input.

The link below provides the best information I've seen on the subject.

https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos/

My personal opinion, trying to mix Sonos zones with receiver zones gets complicated. Not ideal. It's great if you have just one zone for a receiver, where you want to use the 5.1 system your receiver provides. I'd look into using connec:amps for the patio and dining room, or other Sonos speakers.