Onkyo receiver can't find Sonos

• 29 December 2020
  • 27 replies

Apologize if this has been asked. Searched the forum and couldn’t find an answer.

I have 2 Onkyo receivers in my setup and am having the same issue with both. Currently have a TX NR686 and TX NR585. The 686 is connected to a 3rd Gen Sonos connect and the 585 is connected to a brand new Sonos port. Neither the connect nor the port can be found via the onkyo setup/works with Sonos search. I get the same time out on both and a resulting connect cannot be found message.

I have tried rebooting the router, updating firmware, rebooting receivers and removing and reinstalling both Sonos components in the system. Nothing has made a difference.

My assumption is that the problem is in my network setup. I have not been able to get to a solution using onkyo tech support. So I’m trying here. My wifi is a eero mesh system. I’m far from a network expert so looking for advice on things to try. 

any help is appreciated.

27 replies

I spent 3 hours on chat/phone yesterday… they escalated my report and got nothing in the end. They still blame it on Onkyo when the only change has been on Sonos.

Onkyo is working hard to find a patch to fix Sonos’ mess, but still haven’t done it for all models.

As Murphy’s law would dictate, my TX-NR585 receiver will probably be the last to get the firmware update.

Sonos doesn’t write the code for Onkyo. They provide an API, and instructions on how to use it, but it’s Onkyo’s engineers who have to update it in the Onkyo chipsets.