One SUB for Two Rooms

Userlevel 7
Badge
Customer suggested adding the ability to bond a SUB with 2 different Sonos devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Userlevel 1
I agree. An easier way to transfer is probably what we are looking for.

The application might be specific to the sub / playbar combination. I *only* use the playbar when watching movies / tv and never as a general music room source. I would like to be able to use the sub with my Play:5 stereo pair in the same room which I use *only* as a music source and never when I'm watching TV with the playbar. Right now switching has enough of a effort barrier that I don't like switching the sub using the current protocol.

Hello Thomas.

Personally I'm not asking for simultaneous use. I'm asking for an easier way to switch between a stereo Play:5 pair and the Playbar which are both in the same physical room, but are separated into two different virtual rooms (LR:Music and LR:TV)

I listen to music in the morning and then watch TV at night almost everyday. This requires me to switch the sub *every day* from the virtual Play:5(s) room and the virtual Playbar room. This just becomes tedious enough for me that I stopped doing it after awhile.

I realize that there are some clumsy UI or design issues to figure out but it would be nice to have the SUB associate with 2 virtual rooms. And automatically switch between them when they are played separated (LR:MUSIC vs LR:TV). When asked to play both, then the SUB could default to playing with just one room (e.g. LR:Music).

Userlevel 1
I agree switching is tedious and unnecessary when sub can be placed effectively between the two zones. Some times both zones are paired together. Other times it is just one zone or the other. A playbar and sub while watching video, or music while cooking in adjacent room. A quick two click would seem an easy enough feature. Nicer still would be a automatic switch if using just one zone.
You won't find me buying another sub....user friendly is going to gain users. Help us out Sonos!
Userlevel 1
I just bought a sub and can't believe it's not possible to bond it to more than one player unless it's a stereo pair or a 5.1 set up - neither of those apply to me.  I live in a very open loft and have several players in different rooms that all happen to be in very close proximity to where I planned on putting the sub...but due to the layout, the above 2 options aren't feasible...I can't understand why it couldn't be bonded to multiple players in regular mode.  This wouldn't apply to every user of course, but if all were in 'single mode' it would just be setting a crossover point at each of them - not driving the sub any more.  Obviously you'd have to pick one sound setting for the sub, but so what??  I certainly can't spend another $700 for more subs in the same room...and don't even know if that's possible.  I've waited 2 years to get the sub, and I'm so disappointed.  I feel like I completely wasted all that money.

Sonos....are there any plans to add to the subs' functionality so that 'regular' sub associations are possible at one time??  
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I would love to be able to do this where I have two rooms close to each and and rather than buy two subs that would compete any probably sound terrible. Have one room that has priority like the family room and the second room like kitchen gets sub if family room turns off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. Just a note because this thread is getting a bit long, it is possible to bond the SUB with multiple rooms in the house, just not at the same time. So this request is largely to make it easier to set up the SUB to play with multiple rooms as if it were a player on its own and it could be grouped with other zones easily.

As you know, the SUB setup process does take a little time because you have to pick a few options so the crossover frequency of the SUB gets set right. So there would be the need to save multiple configuration profiles in the SUB along with a few other things too.

Anyway, I'll make sure to pass on your feedback and requests to the team. Again, thanks for sharing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi all, just wanted to jump in and say that I'll make sure to pass the suggestion on for you. There's a lot that goes into pairing a SUB with any configuration, as I mentioned above, which would mean that for you to have a couple "profiles" saved all of those configuration details would need to be saved on the players and ready to be swapped at a moments notice. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that there would be a lot that actually goes on in the background for a feature like this.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Userlevel 1

The application might be specific to the sub / playbar combination. I *only* use the playbar when watching movies / tv and never as a general music room source. I would like to be able to use the sub with my Play:5 stereo pair in the same room which I use *only* as a music source and never when I'm watching TV with the playbar. Right now switching has enough of a effort barrier that I don't like switching the sub using the current protocol.

Hello Thomas.

Personally I'm not asking for simultaneous use. I'm asking for an easier way to switch between a stereo Play:5 pair and the Playbar which are both in the same physical room, but are separated into two different virtual rooms (LR:Music and LR:TV)

I listen to music in the morning and then watch TV at night almost everyday. This requires me to switch the sub *every day* from the virtual Play:5(s) room and the virtual Playbar room. This just becomes tedious enough for me that I stopped doing it after awhile.

I realize that there are some clumsy UI or design issues to figure out but it would be nice to have the SUB associate with 2 virtual rooms. And automatically switch between them when they are played separated (LR:MUSIC vs LR:TV). When asked to play both, then the SUB could default to playing with just one room (e.g. LR:Music).

I have the exact same situation. Really hoping for a solution from Sonos.
Userlevel 7

@SNI

Since it was my comments that “triggered” your post then it’s only appropriate that I respond. Thanks @melvimbe for your comments.

IMO (no offense intended) you injected your concerns or frustrations in the wrong thread. The topic of this thread was “One Sub for Two Rooms” not about adjusting the sub sonics for movies versus music.

The original poster wanted to be able to (for example) setup a stereo pair in room “A” and a stereo pair in room “B”. Then subsequently without breaking the Sub’s Bond in room “A” pick it up and move it to room “B” and have it work by merely indicating in the Sonos app that the Sub is now in room “B” and work accordingly. The same would apply (according to the original poster) if the rooms were in close proximity not requiring a physical move of the sub. (i.e. no Bonding, un-Bonding, re-Bonding etcetera between the two rooms). Therefore my comment that Zone capable AVR systems costing much more did not allow a single Sub to operate in a Zoned area vs the Main area of the original setup. 

Regarding adding two more surrounds to a Sonos HT setup. Here you saying that Sonos should have designed the system to support DD7.1 vs DD5.1. Could Sonos have done that ...probably so...but (IMO) at a cost increase. That’s not to say that one would be forced to acquire 4 surround speakers upon initial purchase. To the contrary...the system could have been expandable. However, baking that expandability in to the system would still have come at a consumer cost. Why force an option that the consumer may not want? As I hear the demand in this forum DD7.1 is not it..more so it’s DTS and Dolby Atmos.

More direct to what I believe was the original intent of your post “Cinematic Profiles” would be a nice option. However, you’re adding yet another dimension to a “Wireless” system which requires more sophistication in design to employ than with a wired system. Here again cost has to be a consideration.

I think that we may see some of what you are asking if the demand dictates a design change. Sonos is a company for profit and now even more so as it is publicly traded. However, I don’t believe those features will become a reality in the current Sonos HT system.  More likely a Sonos II speaker system. :thinking:

Company’s don’t change design or introduce new products until the market research has been done to prove such a move as viable and sustainable for profitability.  Think Apple...they are typically late with a lot of DEMAND technology.  However, when they introduce it (or more aptly adopt it) profits are assured. Has Apple made mistakes...yes...anyone remember “Newton”.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes I would love that as well. Having to unlink the sub from the 5.1 setup to be used with another sonos product does stink. I agree it if had some type of priory system that would be amazing.  Example: the 5.1 in the living room is the priority, but if nothing is being played, and I play something on my Play:5 in the office, it will use the sub in the living room. And yes the sub is loud enough for this. It is an amazing sub for that matter. 
Userlevel 1
I love the idea and actually would follow the “modularity and ease” concept of the brand
I agree, c'mon Sonos - a fix shouldn't be too difficult
Badge
This feature would be awesome.  I have a Playbar in one room and two Play:1s in the next.  I'm considering getting a Sub, but don't know which room to put it in.  It would be great if I could place it between the two rooms and share it between them.
This does seem like a no-brainer. Any active speaker should be able to seamlessly use the Sub.  I have two adjacent rooms as well, each with a playbar/tv. It would be great if either one would use the Sub automatically.
Also If I am playing music through both rooms, they would also use the Sub.  I know it can be done by removing/adding all the time, but that is very un-Sonos like.  
Real bummer that it is not possible to use the sub with listen to stereo and after that with the TV & playbar. All in the same room
Userlevel 1

+1 for the ability to move a Sub between two “rooms” in the same physical space. 

Understand all the possible reasons mentioned as to why Sonos hasn’t enabled this to date - just wanted to add my voice to the crowd of users who could make use of this feature :)

Badge
Aso +1 here... Also I'm not that sure it would impact sub sales that much, I highly doubt that a lot people warrant the purchase of a extra sub to circumvent this (it's not cheap you know) but I do think it will hold a lot of people back from buying a sub in the first place

Aso it would be nice to bond a sub to more than one player/pair I gues, so for example 4 one's can benefit from the frequency cut off and then added clarity the sub offers..
I'm on the fence about buying the sub, but if this functionality was added I'd get it for sure as I'd be able to use it with playbar and two Play3's separately.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I still agree this would be a great software update... Sonos any thoughts?
I came into this forum to ask exactly this question. I was hovering over "buy" for a sub, but if I can't share it between my playbar and the Play:5 in the next room over for music - ain't worth it. For $700, this thing outta at least be able to do this, take out your garbage, and give you a foot massage.

After waiting 2+ years of complaining with hundreds of others on the forums for Sonos to finally pay attention to getting shuffle play right (done in 5.4), I've lost faith in expecting these sort of requests to get any sort of priority. I hope I'm wrong - this would be awesome.
Userlevel 1

+1 on being able to switch a Sub between two zones
I agree... I'd really like to use a sub in two zones which are right next to each other... So if I'm using either zone on its own the sub automatically kicks in.. Plus 1 from me... Come on Sonos... How about a comment from you on this awesome idea?
Yes, it really irks me that I bought two play:5's and was only offered the option of setting these up as surrounds, not lefts and rights. So they sit there dormant while I'm watching films.

Then when I'm playing music, my sub is sitting dormant as I don't want the Playbar muddying up the sound of the two Play:5's!

This is craziness! Why can't we create our own groups of individual peakers without making them mutually exclusive and why can't the playbar operate as a center?
Not at all unwarranted as the many users who have the same issue would attest. Minority or not, this issue has been posted for years and should be added. It doesn't appear this would be an overly complex programming issue.
Not at all unwarranted as the many users who have the same issue would attest. Minority or not, this issue has been posted for years and should be added. It doesn't appear this would be an overly complex programming issue.

This thread is 3+ years old, with under 2 pages of posts, a quarter or so of which are explanatory or disagreeing. Not exactly beating the doors down.

As to it not being an "overly complex programming issue"? As a Software Engineer, if I had a nickel for every time someone without intimate knowledge of my software claimed something shouldn't be an "overly complex programming issue", I wouldn't have to be a Software Engineer anymore. 😉