One SUB for Two Rooms

• 1 November 2013
  • 91 replies

Show first post

91 replies

The Sub is a bit pricey, however I could justify the cost of one sub to my customers if it could serve 2 areas, versus zero sub's. . I don't have any data on this, but I think they would sell more subs if you allowed this feature.
Understand your perspective, but I'd imagine the reason that they haven't done that is due to some sort of market information that they have. Or perhaps there's a software limitation, who knows.
I’m jumping on this bandwagon as well, although it doesn’t appear likely that it will ever come into fruition...
Count me in!

I have a Beam under my TV and my desk is sitting in the side room which is not closed by any door. Both rooms could benefit from the sub.
Count me in.

Like: The subwoofer should work together with room a.
And if there is audio in room b without audio in room a it should provide Bass for room b.
I'd like to add my request fio this feature too, with one slight complication.

I would like to share a sub between a Sonos Beam 5.1 room and Sonos Connect system that is outputting fixed via coaxial digital to a proper / traditional hi fi system.

Both of these systems are in the same room but allow me to have a high end stereo music system as well as an easy to place 5.1 system.
I would like to share a sub between a Sonos Beam 5.1 room and Sonos Connect system that is outputting fixed via coaxial digital to a proper / traditional hi fi system.
Notwithstanding the desire to link a Sub with two rooms (which I very much doubt it's in Sonos' interest to pursue), you can't actually bond Sub with a Connect at all, even within a single 'room'. The reasoning is that the Connect has no control over the final sound experience -- volume, EQ, etc. -- as that depends on the downstream equipment.
Badge
Aso +1 here... Also I'm not that sure it would impact sub sales that much, I highly doubt that a lot people warrant the purchase of a extra sub to circumvent this (it's not cheap you know) but I do think it will hold a lot of people back from buying a sub in the first place

Aso it would be nice to bond a sub to more than one player/pair I gues, so for example 4 one's can benefit from the frequency cut off and then added clarity the sub offers..
Badge
I was searching for the edit button to edit my last post but didn't find it. So a new post, my apologies for that.

I was just thinking that the solution might even be simpler, why not let the user set the cut off frequency in the sound settings manually?

Lets say I have 4 one's across my main level (two areas, but fysicly one room) and add a sub.
Te sub is added pair-1 where for the frequency cut-off is automatically set, and for pair-2, which will always be grouped with pair-1, I set the cut off manually....
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Aso +1 here... Also I'm not that sure it would impact sub sales that much, I highly doubt that a lot people warrant the purchase of a extra sub to circumvent this (it's not cheap you know) but I do think it will hold a lot of people back from buying a sub in the first place

Maybe, but I don't know the marketing data to support or disprove that theory.

Aso it would be nice to bond a sub to more than one player/pair I gues, so for example 4 one's can benefit from the frequency cut off and then added clarity the sub offers..

I'd personally like to see Sonos add 4 Sonos Ones/Sonos One SLs as a new room configuration. That way you can add a single sub if you wish and properly Trueplay tune the setup. I don't know the dev work required to get this correct though, nor have any idea of the volume of customers who would want such a setup. I said I'd like to see it, but I honestly wouldn't use it. All my large rooms have TVs and thus have an HT setup instead.
Badge

Aso +1 here... Also I'm not that sure it would impact sub sales that much, I highly doubt that a lot people warrant the purchase of a extra sub to circumvent this (it's not cheap you know) but I do think it will hold a lot of people back from buying a sub in the first placeMaybe, but I don't know the marketing data to support or disprove that theory.

I'd personally like to see Sonos add 4 Sonos Ones/Sonos One SLs as a new room configuration. That way you can add a single sub if you wish and properly Trueplay tune the setup. I don't know the dev work required to get this correct though, nor have any idea of the volume of customers who would want such a setup. I said I'd like to see it, but I honestly wouldn't use it. All my large rooms have TVs and thus have an HT setup instead.

That is basically what I was saying, pairing 4 one's together and then adding a sub...

Another vote for this.

I was designing out my ideal setup for an open main floor living space that is used for both TV/Movie viewing and for playing music on the whole floor. Ideally, I could share the sub between the two “room” configurations:

1. TV/Movies: Playbar + Sub
  2. Music: Play:5 + Sub

The main floor is not nearly large enough to justify 2 subs (price notwithstanding!) so it’s frustrating this can’t be configured.

Now I’m considering ditching Sonos altogether.

Now I’m considering ditching Sonos altogether.

For? 

Andrew Jones Pioneer system + traditional amplifier (undecided).

Certainly, a whole different feature set but a bit more predictable.

So there is no comparable system to Sonos that allows you to bond a sub with more than one room? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

What do you mean by predictable?  And if you’re considering wired options, then you might want to consider using a Sonos amp to power speakers.   It will give you the stereo separation with music you’re looking for and a simulated center for TV/moves.  Not sure if that’s acceptable to you.  Then you can use a single sub + surrounds if you wish.