One SUB for Two Rooms

Userlevel 7
Badge
Customer suggested adding the ability to bond a SUB with 2 different Sonos devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I would love to be able to do this where I have two rooms close to each and and rather than buy two subs that would compete any probably sound terrible. Have one room that has priority like the family room and the second room like kitchen gets sub if family room turns off.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes I would love that as well. Having to unlink the sub from the 5.1 setup to be used with another sonos product does stink. I agree it if had some type of priory system that would be amazing.  Example: the 5.1 in the living room is the priority, but if nothing is being played, and I play something on my Play:5 in the office, it will use the sub in the living room. And yes the sub is loud enough for this. It is an amazing sub for that matter. 
Userlevel 1
I love the idea and actually would follow the “modularity and ease” concept of the brand
I'm on the fence about buying the sub, but if this functionality was added I'd get it for sure as I'd be able to use it with playbar and two Play3's separately.
I agree, c'mon Sonos - a fix shouldn't be too difficult
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I still agree this would be a great software update... Sonos any thoughts?
Userlevel 2
I already use multiple players (2Play:5's and a connect:amp) in group-mode in one room, including one sub. 
To use the sub on all of this units when in group-mode; would be great!
Badge
This feature would be awesome.  I have a Playbar in one room and two Play:1s in the next.  I'm considering getting a Sub, but don't know which room to put it in.  It would be great if I could place it between the two rooms and share it between them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Grouping with a Connect would also be of great value.
Userlevel 1
I just bought a sub and can't believe it's not possible to bond it to more than one player unless it's a stereo pair or a 5.1 set up - neither of those apply to me.  I live in a very open loft and have several players in different rooms that all happen to be in very close proximity to where I planned on putting the sub...but due to the layout, the above 2 options aren't feasible...I can't understand why it couldn't be bonded to multiple players in regular mode.  This wouldn't apply to every user of course, but if all were in 'single mode' it would just be setting a crossover point at each of them - not driving the sub any more.  Obviously you'd have to pick one sound setting for the sub, but so what??  I certainly can't spend another $700 for more subs in the same room...and don't even know if that's possible.  I've waited 2 years to get the sub, and I'm so disappointed.  I feel like I completely wasted all that money.

Sonos....are there any plans to add to the subs' functionality so that 'regular' sub associations are possible at one time??  
This does seem like a no-brainer. Any active speaker should be able to seamlessly use the Sub.  I have two adjacent rooms as well, each with a playbar/tv. It would be great if either one would use the Sub automatically.
Also If I am playing music through both rooms, they would also use the Sub.  I know it can be done by removing/adding all the time, but that is very un-Sonos like.  
Still waiting for this, would be a really good enhancement. Adding-removing is not fun...
I came into this forum to ask exactly this question. I was hovering over "buy" for a sub, but if I can't share it between my playbar and the Play:5 in the next room over for music - ain't worth it. For $700, this thing outta at least be able to do this, take out your garbage, and give you a foot massage.

After waiting 2+ years of complaining with hundreds of others on the forums for Sonos to finally pay attention to getting shuffle play right (done in 5.4), I've lost faith in expecting these sort of requests to get any sort of priority. I hope I'm wrong - this would be awesome.
I'm having trouble visualizing how a single SUB could be simultaneously assigned to two rooms. I guess that this would be OK if there was a single user who used only one room at a time and the rooms were joined, but what happens if both rooms are playing and the volume in one room is changed?

How about an option to "transfer" or "move" a SUB's bonding from one room to another? This would eliminate some fuss.
Userlevel 1
I agree. An easier way to transfer is probably what we are looking for.

The application might be specific to the sub / playbar combination. I *only* use the playbar when watching movies / tv and never as a general music room source. I would like to be able to use the sub with my Play:5 stereo pair in the same room which I use *only* as a music source and never when I'm watching TV with the playbar. Right now switching has enough of a effort barrier that I don't like switching the sub using the current protocol.
Badge

The application might be specific to the sub / playbar combination. I *only* use the playbar when watching movies / tv and never as a general music room source. I would like to be able to use the sub with my Play:5 stereo pair in the same room which I use *only* as a music source and never when I'm watching TV with the playbar. Right now switching has enough of a effort barrier that I don't like switching the sub using the current protocol.

It can be easily moved from zone to zone. Takes more clicks than i care it too but once you get the hang of it takes all of 5-10 seconds to do. Simultaneous will never be an option because that would mean the sub could get 2 different music streams at the same time.
Userlevel 1

Hello Thomas.

Personally I'm not asking for simultaneous use. I'm asking for an easier way to switch between a stereo Play:5 pair and the Playbar which are both in the same physical room, but are separated into two different virtual rooms (LR:Music and LR:TV)

I listen to music in the morning and then watch TV at night almost everyday. This requires me to switch the sub *every day* from the virtual Play:5(s) room and the virtual Playbar room. This just becomes tedious enough for me that I stopped doing it after awhile.

I realize that there are some clumsy UI or design issues to figure out but it would be nice to have the SUB associate with 2 virtual rooms. And automatically switch between them when they are played separated (LR:MUSIC vs LR:TV). When asked to play both, then the SUB could default to playing with just one room (e.g. LR:Music).

Exactly what willryu said - excellent clarification. We're not asking for simultaneous - just an easy way to reconfigure the sub between TV watching and music in nearby physical space with different "rooms".
Badge

Agreed its an ask I have had as well for quite a long time the easiest way if you are doing it all the time has a minor cost to it. You find an old sonos amp on ebay, can usually be had for about 100. Pair that sub with that amp then you can simply group that amp (which is just the sub) with any other zone. That is the easiest way i have found to easily switch the sub from zone to zone to zone at will.
Userlevel 1

That's a very clever idea Thomas! If I understand you correctly then the SUB+AMP is it's own virtual room and then I could pair this with any other room(s).

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can find a deal as good as you have found on a used Sonos AMP. I'm in Canada and searching around a bit it would probably cost at least $350 or more.

Downsides? I guess if you have to sorry about the phase and or level changes this could be a problem. Fortunately I find that I don't have to change a thing when I switch my sub between my Play:5s and Playbar.

Hmm. I wonder if I just use a Play:1 and have it muted? or will that also mute the associated SUB? Or maybe I can modify it in a reversible way so that it is silent.

Best,

Will

SUB will mute along with PLAY:1. There is no way to defeat this -- unless you place PLAY:1 inside of a soundproof enclosure (or in the garage).
Badge

willryu drop me a note at ifican@gmail.com when you get a moment.
Userlevel 1
I agree switching is tedious and unnecessary when sub can be placed effectively between the two zones. Some times both zones are paired together. Other times it is just one zone or the other. A playbar and sub while watching video, or music while cooking in adjacent room. A quick two click would seem an easy enough feature. Nicer still would be a automatic switch if using just one zone.
You won't find me buying another sub....user friendly is going to gain users. Help us out Sonos!
+1 on being able to switch a Sub between two zones
I agree... I'd really like to use a sub in two zones which are right next to each other... So if I'm using either zone on its own the sub automatically kicks in.. Plus 1 from me... Come on Sonos... How about a comment from you on this awesome idea?