Question

Nvidia Shield and Sonos

Badge
Hi there.

So, I have an Nvidia Shield, and 3 Play:1's (one of them is being used in the kitchen only).

I really want the sound from my shield (when using Kodi etc) to go out through the Play:1's
I know this is not possible without another Sonos Product. This is why Im strongly considering buying the Connect.

My question for you is:

Will I be able to output sound from my Nvidia Shield, when the Connect is plugged into my Smart tv?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi, the CONNECT has a line-in port which you can link an external device to just like any other speaker. That input can then be played across the Sonos system to any combination of players. This connection isn't designed specifically for playing audio from video sources, so you may find there's a slight delay between the audio and video. The CONNECT would be able to do what you're looking to do, but it wouldn't be our recommendation.

For TV setups, we designed the PLAYBAR specifically for this use. The PLAYBAR has an optical connection for the highest quality and lowest latency of Sonos connections.
Badge
Hi, the CONNECT has a line-in port which you can link an external device to just like any other speaker. That input can then be played across the Sonos system to any combination of players. This connection isn't designed specifically for playing audio from video sources, so you may find there's a slight delay between the audio and video. The CONNECT would be able to do what you're looking to do, but it wouldn't be our recommendation.

For TV setups, we designed the PLAYBAR specifically for this use. The PLAYBAR has an optical connection for the highest quality and lowest latency of Sonos connections.

Yeah I've seen that reply to several posts in here, and if the price was a bit lower, it would be the obvious choice for me. You say that the Playbar has optical connection, but as far as this picture, so does the connect. What am I missing here?

https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2012/08/27/6c02e979-67c4-11e3-a665-14feb5ca9861/thumbnail/770x433/cae0c996b8d07be540be5d9c67ba1dd2/Sonos_Connect_33190898_08.jpg
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The optical on the CONNECT is an output only, not an input. The only line-in on the CONNECT is the analog RCA (white and red posts).
Badge
The optical on the CONNECT is an output only, not an input. The only line-in on the CONNECT is the analog RCA (white and red posts).

What about the Play:5 (newest gen), is it the same situation with this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The new PLAY:5 has a 3.5mm Analog line-in connection with the same functionality as the CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP. The input still has a slight delay from processing and added for buffering to keep it in sync with any and all players you might want to group it with. This can be as low as 70ms or so which you may not notice at all. But it also might be something that you see all the time and it gets to you.

You could certainly test one out and see how it goes. We have a great money back guaranty for all units purchased through our web store.

But our recommendation still is the PLAYBAR, after all, this is what that product is designed to do.
Badge
The new PLAY:5 has a 3.5mm Analog line-in connection with the same functionality as the CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP. The input still has a slight delay from processing and added for buffering to keep it in sync with any and all players you might want to group it with. This can be as low as 70ms or so which you may not notice at all. But it also might be something that you see all the time and it gets to you.

You could certainly test one out and see how it goes. We have a great money back guaranty for all units purchased through our web store.

But our recommendation still is the PLAYBAR, after all, this is what that product is designed to do.

Of course, and don't get me wrong, it seems like a really awesome product (Playbar). But would I, with the playbar, get the sound from my Nvidia Shield android tv? It is connected to my TV via Hdmi. It has not optical connection itself (the Shield)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Correct, the HDMI should pass audio and video to the TV. The TV would then split the audio and output it to the optical device.
Badge +1
But then, not many TVs can output 5.1, so you might be left with stereo, right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
But then, not many TVs can output 5.1, so you might be left with stereo, right?
That depends on the TV, but with the end result being that audio is available to Play:1 speakers elsewhere, I don't think 5.1 is a requirement in this setup (at least not yet).
I just purchased the rechargeable version of the Shield remote because the original that came with the 2017 unit required batteries and would not last 1 week. The original would allow me to control the volume of my sound bar. With The rechargeable version of he remote I get a message saying accessory not supported. Can you explain why?