Answered

Not another zero latency line-in request

• 5 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some help on setup for my office. Let me start by saying I’ve seen all the zero latency line-in threads and that’s not what I’m asking for here.

I would like to setup some studio monitors in my office so that I can do real-time audio monitoring from my computer, but I would also like to be able to, at times, add them to one of my Sonos groups. So here is my question:

Are there any devices that can take two audio inputs (computer audio & Sonos amp/port input) and switch between the two, preferably automatically. Bonus points if I can also switch the output from the studio monitors to headphones on the fly.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by ratty 5 March 2021, 12:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge +17

Hey @rgilkes, welcome to the community.

I’m going to assume that your studio monitors are active (powered) speakers with multiple inputs such as 1/4” and RCA jacks. If you’re looking to play from your studio monitors and your Sonos speakers at the same time without delay then unfortunately that wouldn’t be possible. You could hook up a Sonos Port to the back of the monitors as either an audio source by connecting from the Port’s line out jacks, or, if your monitors have RCA out, you could send that audio to the Port’s line in jacks to send that audio to the rest of your Sonos speakers. Though if you’re going the line-in route, you would be subject to that 75ms delay.

If you’re looking to use a Sonos product as PC speakers, I’ve written an article on how to achieve this. 

If I haven’t understood what you're looking for then please let me know, perhaps with an example use case. Model numbers of the kit you're looking to hook up would be beneficial too :slight_smile:

Are there any devices that can take two audio inputs (computer audio & Sonos amp/port input) and switch between the two, preferably automatically. Bonus points if I can also switch the output from the studio monitors to headphones on the fly.

Audioengine. (They don’t switch, they simultaneously accept two inputs.)

I’ve used the little A2s on my desk for years, with input from the computer and Sonos (ZP80, then Port).

Badge

Hi @James L. 

Thanks for the response. I’m not looking to group pc speakers and Sonos speakers, I’m looking to use one set of studio monitors and switch between two inputs (input 1: computer audio, input 2: Sonos amp/port). Hope that helps. I don’t have an equipment list yet, as that’s what I was hoping to get suggestions on through this thread.

@ratty Thank you for the Audioengine recommendation. Since you can’t switch, does one input just take priority over the other when it has a signal?

@ratty Thank you for the Audioengine recommendation. Since you can’t switch, does one input just take priority over the other when it has a signal?

No, they’re both active. There’s an internal mixer.

Badge

No, they’re both active. There’s an internal mixer.

Oh ok. I think that is fine. Taking look at their speaker lineup and the HD3’s look like they may be just what I need with the added headphone output.

One operational question for you. In terms of volume control, do you find yourself leaving the speaker at a certain level and then adjusting volume through Sonos or do you do all volume control on the speaker?

I never touch the speaker’s own volume (which is round the back on mine). Set and forgotten.

The Sonos level is adjusted via the Windows controller; the PC level is tweaked (if necessary) on the desktop, though of course the likes of YouTube also have their own volume control.

By the way there could well be other makes of desktop monitor which provide in-built mixing, but Audioengine have served me well.

Badge

By the way there could well be other makes of desktop monitor which provide in-built mixing, but Audioengine have served me well.

Thanks again. These look like a perfect option!