Answered

No L/R analog outs on receiver...what's the best option from AVR to Connect?

Badge
I just realized that I may not be able to connect my receiver to a Sonos Connect. If my receiver does not have analog L/R outputs, am I out of luck for using a Connect to output my receiver's sources into the Sonos system? Do I need a toslink/coax to RCA adapter? Is there a great product that wont degrade (would ideally enhance) the quality going from my receiver to the Connect? Here's my receiver:

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&ProductId=SR6008
icon

Best answer by airforceteacher 7 June 2018, 22:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Did you link the right receiver? That has a pre-out section. The RCA jacks labeled “front” should be what you need.
Badge
Oh, ok. Well I'm confused cause the specs say "Analog L&R Out- No." If I use the preamp out, I'd need the Connect: Amp, though, right? I want to use the Marantz's amp, which I'm sure is better than the Connect: Amp's..
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Ok, I’m not sure what you’re trying to do. The Connect’s purpose is to take the Sonos output and play it through a normal hifi and/or to take the audio from an analog source like a CD player, a turntable, etc and share it with other Sonos devices in other zones. These connections are for unamplified analog signals. The amplifier in the Marantz receiver is only for the regular, passive, speakers attached to the receiver, probably in the same room.

What are you using the Marantz for, and what is it you want the Connect to do? Is this your first Sonos device, or do you have multiple zones (rooms)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The amp part is for driving speakers. So no you would just need the pre-out going to Connect. The Sonos Play speakers have amps built in to them that would feed from the connect.

The connect:Amp is for when you want wired speakers hooked to it (unamplified).
Badge
The amp part is for driving speakers. So no you would just need the pre-out going to Connect. The Sonos Play speakers have amps built in to them that would feed from the connect.

The connect:Amp is for when you want wired speakers hooked to it (unamplified).

So if I wanted to, for example, play Youtube via the Apple TV from my JBL speakers wired to the Marantz, as well as output it to the Sonos' around the the house, this would work fine as the setup? Have the Marantz set to the Apple TV, and then that sound would automatically feed through the pre-out to the Connect and play when Sonos speakers were enabled?
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
That’s right, from the receiver’s pre-out to the CONNECT’s Line-In, then on the other rooms just select that line in.
Badge
I'm imagining being able to play Youtube via the Apple TV, or output video played on netflix so you can still hear dialogue in another room.

Sonos chat is telling me the following:

"Me: im still kind of uncertain as to why using a receiver to the connect is much different from a switch with multiple sources to the Connect? Isn't the receiver that switch, essentially?

Sonos:Yes, as I said it may be possible, though not recommended. Most receivers would either play to the speakers they have attached or an output, not both. As that is not really something we can rely on, the input is designed to be used with a single audio source and then connect to your receiver so you can stream music to the existing receiver and use that audio source as well."

So it's possible the Marantz wont output to both the preamp out AND to the JBL speakers wired in?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Should go to pre-amp and speakers - one thing that most receivers won't do though is convert audio from digital input to analog. So if you had for example and AppleTV hooked via HDMI to the receiver. Only some receivers will convert that digital input into the analog outs.

My pioneer receiver in living room won't convert digital down to the analog outputs. So example my DVD player I have hooked up via HDMI cable (sending digital audio to TV). But I also connected to R/L RCA cable from DVD player to the receiver Analog inputs as well (so I have the DVD player hooked up analog connection as well). So that way if I'm watching DVD player - my receiver will output to the Connect via analog even though I'm watching the digital connection.

Hope that makes sense.
Badge
Should go to pre-amp and speakers - one thing that most receivers won't do though is convert audio from digital input to analog. So if you had for example and AppleTV hooked via HDMI to the receiver. Only some receivers will convert that digital input into the analog outs.

My pioneer receiver in living room won't convert digital down to the analog outputs. So example my DVD player I have hooked up via HDMI cable (sending digital audio to TV). But I also connected to R/L RCA cable from DVD player to the receiver Analog inputs as well (so I have the DVD player hooked up analog connection as well). So that way if I'm watching DVD player - my receiver will output to the Connect via analog even though I'm watching the digital connection.

Hope that makes sense.

Ah, I see. I don’t think this will work, then, as most of my devices are connected via HDMI (or even if I used optical that still wouldn’t pass to analog). So I guess the best option here is get the Connect and then when Airplay 2 comes hope that I can play YouTube via my iPhone or MacBook out to the Connect > Marantz and JBL speakers as well as the Sonos speakers around my house.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You could put something like this between the HDMI out of the receiver and the TV

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B00KBHX072

This would extract a stereo signal to output to the Connect of whatever was being fed to TV.
Badge
You could put something like this between the HDMI out of the receiver and the TV

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B00KBHX072

This would extract a stereo signal to output to the Connect of whatever was being fed to TV.

I use ARC so it’s just my devices connected to the TV out to the ARC HDMI in on the receiver. Primarily because most of my devices are 4k HDR which my receiver doesn’t support. So I guess I could connect the HDMI out of the TV to this thing, pass the RCA into the Connect and the HDMI continue on to the ARC in on my receiver...wonder if that would result in issues like lip sync delays and stuff.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Looks like you should use this model instead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LKF6CPG?tag=tomsguide_forum_vgl-20
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nope - reading the fine print doesn't sound like will work. If audio coming from TV is above stereo it won't extract it.

Does your TV have an optical audio output.

This may work instead if your feeding all audio to the TV anyhow.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Decoder-Converter-Optical-5-1-Channel/dp/B07116VKTR/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528406799&sr=1-12&keywords=optical+to+rca+dvd+5.1
Badge
Nope - reading the fine print doesn't sound like will work. If audio coming from TV is above stereo it won't extract it.

Does your TV have an optical audio output.

This may work instead if your feeding all audio to the TV anyhow.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Decoder-Converter-Optical-5-1-Channel/dp/B07116VKTR/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528406799&sr=1-12&keywords=optical+to+rca+dvd+5.1

Hm, not sure if that'll work. I do have an optical out from the TV. So how would I use that optical out into this thing to send an analog signal to the Connect but also allow for the Marantz to output that same sound? I don't know if I can have both the HDMI into the receiver and the optical out to the Connect going at the same time.

So even if I can or can't solve this dilemma, I'm also still debating whether I'd need the Connect if I have an Apple TV once Airplay 2 shows up. As I've mentioned in another thread, doesn't that just negate the need for the Connect at that point? Apple TV into the receiver grouped with Sonos speakers via Airplay 2. What benefit does the Connection give me at that point beyond being able to stream a turntable over Sonos?

Also, seems like maybe this is the right device: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HHSJVN/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
That doesn’t sound right. My Yamaha RX-V series receiver outputs to both the speakers and the pre-outs, and it only has digital sources. I know it’s sending a signal via the pre-outs because that’s how I’m driving my subwoofer, and it works with digital sources and while still playing the speakers.

You can test this with your receiver if you have powered speakers. Take the output from pre-out into your powered speakers (depending on the input for the powered speakers you might need an adapter), play audio from the Apple TV via the receiver, and see if you get audio from the JBL and the powered speakers.
Badge
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this :8 but any chance you think a Play:5 would sound better than my receiver and JBL Studio 5 speakers plus SVS NSD12 subwoofer?
Badge
That doesn’t sound right. My Yamaha RX-V series receiver outputs to both the speakers and the pre-outs, and it only has digital sources. I know it’s sending a signal via the pre-outs because that’s how I’m driving my subwoofer, and it works with digital sources and while still playing the speakers.

You can test this with your receiver if you have powered speakers. Take the output from pre-out into your powered speakers (depending on the input for the powered speakers you might need an adapter), play audio from the Apple TV via the receiver, and see if you get audio from the JBL and the powered speakers.

According to an expert on my receiver over at AVS: "The only source output is the Zone 2 pre-outs which would connect to the Sonos Connect noting the source audio can only be PCM 2.0 when passed over HDMI or optical/digital coax."
Badge
I think what I’m going to do is use my Chromcast audio to output it’s toslink and use a toslink to rca adapter into the Connect. This way I can stream YouTube and some other stuff directly to the Connect.