Answered

Nintendo Switch - no audio with Sonos Beam

• 17 November 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi all - running across a strange issue. I have a Sonos Beam connected to my TV. I have several other devices connected that all output audio without issue (cable box, PS4, etc).

However, when I dock my Nintendo Switch to play on my TV, I simply get no audio through the Beam. Interestingly, my TV also changes to my Beam's input whenever I connect the Switch.

When I switch back to the Switch's input, I have video but no audio. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thank you!
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 November 2018, 15:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

As a guess, the Switch is playing audio in a format unsupported by Sonos. Is there a way to set it on your Switch? I don't own one, so can only comment from the Sonos perspective.
Hi there, ORLtragic. Thanks for the post! I have a Nintendo Switch as well, and it puts out Linear PCM 5.1 which is not supported by Sonos. However, this didn't stop me from connecting it to my setup in my bedroom. I did this by selecting Stereo as my audio output on the Switch. This will only send audio to the left and right channels, but if you go into the Room settings on the Sonos Controller app, you can change the surround output level from ambient to full for TV audio. This will get the rear speakers playing audio from the Switch, giving the full sound of your system with the stereo signal coming from the Switch.

If you still have problems getting audio from the Switch, please submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number it gives at the end. Be sure to do this while attempting to play audio from the Switch to the Beam.
Userlevel 1
Hi there, ORLtragic. Thanks for the post! I have a Nintendo Switch as well, and it puts out Linear PCM 5.1 which is not supported by Sonos. However, this didn't stop me from connecting it to my setup in my bedroom. I did this by selecting Stereo as my audio output on the Switch. This will only send audio to the left and right channels, but if you go into the Room settings on the Sonos Controller app, you can change the surround output level from ambient to full for TV audio. This will get the rear speakers playing audio from the Switch, giving the full sound of your system with the stereo signal coming from the Switch.

If you still have problems getting audio from the Switch, please submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number it gives at the end. Be sure to do this while attempting to play audio from the Switch to the Beam.

Thank you for this information! I'm struggling to find the option in Room Settings to change the surround output level. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?
More > Settings > Room Settings > (room name) > Advanced Audio > Surround Settings.
Userlevel 1
More > Settings > Room Settings > (room name) > Advanced Audio > Surround Settings.
Thanks - sorry for the delayed reply, life is crazy. Strangely, I do not have "Surround Settings" as an option in that menu. The only thing I see is "TV Dialog Settings".....
Userlevel 1

Hi Keith - I've submitted a diagnostic report. The Confirmation # is: 1634980058 - I would appreciate any help, this is frustrating.
ORLtragic: Thanks! It seems the Beam is getting a stereo signal from the TV, which should produce audio without problem. What is the make and model of your TV?

I have seen a few threads that describe similar experiences with other HDMI devices. Essentially, whenever the TV recognizes a functioning HDMI port, it auto switches to that port dedicating both audio and video to one HDMI port (Beam or Switch in your case). That being said, it might be worth checking your TV user manual for any HDMI Auto Switch "features".

Let us know if this gets it working.