New Zoneplayers Announced

• 5 August 2008
  • 41 replies

Show first post

41 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
there doesnt appear to be a ZoneBridge with SonosNet2.0 wireless. Or was/is it already 2.0 ?

Seems odd to do a product refresh and not update the zonebridge too.

SonosNet 2.0 is currently NOT supported on ZoneBridge.

As you know, Sonos don't comment on future product plans.
Userlevel 2
From looking around the price break on the old equipment isn't as high as you'd think (in UK anyway).

The BU150 is £699 and the current offer for the BU130 (plus a cradle) is £599. The ZPs are on offer for £50 off, ZP100 - £299, ZP80 - £199.

The controller, cradle and ZB are unchanged (as you'd expect).

I'd be tempted to get another couple of ZP100s and a controller so I think I'll get a couple of offers in.....:-)

SSE
Userlevel 2
SonosNet 2.0 is currently NOT supported on ZoneBridge.

As you know, Sonos don't comment on future product plans.

What are the implications of this? Does it mean that the new ZPs are not compatible with the Bridge?
Functionally, all of the SONOS units are compatible, new and old. Mixed systems work fine, however, both ends of the link must be the new units before range enhancements kick in.
What are the implications of this? Does it mean that the new ZPs are not compatible with the Bridge?

No, they would have to be backward compatible with the ZoneBridge. I think he just means there is no new "ZoneBridge 2.0" box with the extended range of the new ZP's.
Userlevel 2
So the new 802.11n enhancements won't benefit those who use the Bridge? (or will the "n" kick in between the new zones?)
Functionally, all of the SONOS units are compatible, new and old. Mixed systems work fine, however, both ends of the link must be the new units before range enhancements kick in.

just to reiterate in laymans terms, also because if I am wrong i would want clarification: If I purchase a single new unit, nothing range-wise changes because my new ZP120 is sending a signal far away...but if I put my ZP100 far enough to "make use of" that range....it couldn't itself talk back to the ZP120, thus rendering the extended range useless.

Also, if I were to get more than one of the new ZPs with the longer range, that might allow me to space those two farther apart to cross a long gap or whatever...but my controller will still only work within the original range of either box.
Userlevel 2
Still no support for Window Media Audio (WMA) Lossless format
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Still no support for Window Media Audio (WMA) Lossless format

I think it's safe to assume this is never going to happen. The inefficiency of that codec is it's own downfall.
I think it's safe to assume this is never going to happen. The inefficiency of that codec is it's own downfall.

Yes. It's notable that some other streaming solutions have to use a full-blown PC server to do on-the-fly transcoding from WMAL to a more efficient format.

Cheers,

Keith
Ubertaffy,

You've got the idea. I have not seen any metrics on the relative range of old/old vs old/new.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Do we know if the new "n" wireless is dual band 5G + 2.4G like the Airport? This would certainly keep it away from other Wi-Fi and also things like phones.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So the new 802.11n enhancements won't benefit those who use the Bridge? (or will the "n" kick in between the new zones?)

Is anyone able to answer this interesting question from izbak... I would really like to know...

/Kos
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Do we know if the new "n" wireless is dual band 5G + 2.4G like the Airport? This would certainly keep it away from other Wi-Fi and also things like phones.

The hardware is a standard 'n' adapter and therefore capable of both frequencies when required.

Currently I believe only the 2.4GHz band is in use.
I'll be the voice of reason here. New users are welcome anytime, and suggestions, comments, questions are invited. However, that does not mean that everyone will agree or 100% support the suggestion. But that's the point - it's an open forum to discuss ideas, offer support or alternatives etc.

I wont go as far as saying never, but it's unlikely Sonos will support it. It is true that WMAL is a technically inferior codec. It also has poor support generally (hardware and software).

Sonos don't comment on future plans, but here is what they had to say about it

Windows Media Lossless is a highly CPU intensive format to decode - there are some 3rd party comparison numbers here: http://members.home.nl/w.speek/comparison.htm, as you can see, it is 3-4x as intensive as FLAC or Apple Lossless (which appears to be largely based on FLAC).

Its so intensive that while a Sonos system is playing back WMA Lossless media there are a few functions that we wouldn't be able to perform without overtaxing the CPU.

Microsoft is aware of the problem and would like to resolve it as would we, but it will take some effort and it is not in a planned release at this time.

I think it's clear that there is not a huge push to support it, but not totally dismissed either. Personally, I think WMAL has a 50/50 chance of survival. A couple years ago, Microsoft we're really pushing manufacturers to use WMAL. But the whole plays for sure debacle has seen support waning. FLAC will live, and so will ALAC (because of the iPod). I'd recommend one of those.

It's no big deal, set the conversion running overnight and you're done. Absolutely zero fidelity loss (if you go to FLAC or ALAC).

Here are some other threads if interested.
When is WMA Lossless support coming?
NO support for WMA Lossless?
Argghh. No WMAL Support
WMA Lossless support

db

The "Sonosnet 2.0" will kick in between the new players, but currently not between the bridge and all other equipment. For Sonosnet 2.0 to kick in, both ends must support it.

Please note that Sonos uses a mesh configuration. This means that any player can relay for any other player, and that the bridge is not necessarily the center of your network. So even if you use a bridge as your wired player, you may still get a better range between two new players.