New Sub Mini coming soon?

• 1 December 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I have seen a ton of articles coming out within the past day regarding a potential mini Sub. Just wanted to throw that out there for discussion. Good/bad idea? Pricing? Interested? Etc..?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Not for me… already have the SUB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d have been interested in one but got a deal on a full sized Sub and went with it. A bit more than needed for a 10x10 foot room.

It will be good because in price and looks it will be more suitable for a One pair - as long as the smaller one also pulls of the trick of turning a One pair into a more HiFi level set up than it already is.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Persfor me I see it (if done right) to be a tremendous offering and compliment. You have two set up options - a higher end with Arc, Sub and Ones and then a Beam, Mini and Ones. I would for sure add it to my bedroom setup or my secondary family room setup. Probably in that $450 range would be a sweet spot. Think it also has a ton of opportunities for smaller music only options as well like a Five and Mini or two Ones and a Mini. Just my two cents. 

It will be good because in price and looks it will be more suitable for a One pair - as long as the smaller one also pulls of the trick of turning a One pair into a more HiFi level set up than it already is.

There is no information on price and looks, just that it’s mini and cylindrical in shape.  If it actually does exist, and I have my doubts, it surely is cheaper than the full sub and subjectively looks better with Ones, but hard to say that the price, or more accurately the value, is more appealing to many over the full sub.

There is no information on price and looks

So we are just speculating - and in that vein, I think that performance and looks/footprint are more important that a saving of a couple of hundred dollars. If the former justifies it, that extra spend for a decade of use to obtain a higher quality listening experience is not much in daily terms. Yes, there is the physics of sound propagation that has to be addressed for a smaller sub, but Sonos has done this very well already with the small Play 1/One units with a high excursion woofer and a dedicated amp for it, so something similar for a sub is possible for them to achieve, I would think. Indeed, if you run true play on a One pair+ Sub, the output from the Sub is automatically reduced significantly to achieve a natural bass line for the music, so that is another pointer to how the smaller sub could be a good fit for a One pair. Or for any other application in up to moderately sized rooms.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Providing it is at a good price point then it’d be good option to pair with a Beam or Sonos Ones. I imagine, as it’s Sonos, it will be overpriced and therefore a lot of customers will just go for the bigger brother.

The info came from a screenshot. Either from the beta app or information got accidently published to the public app. It was in the FAQ / help section explaining the differences between sub models (Current Gen3 ‘SUB’ and the rumoured Sub Mini).

There’s also murmurs of Sonos headphones which I’ve posted about before. Would work almost identically to the Roam but goes on your head.