Answered

New Sonos Amp Apple TV / remote

• 19 December 2018
  • 18 replies

Apple-TV connected to TV. Sonos Amp (the new one) connected HDMI-ARC. Question will the AppleTV remote control the volume of the Amp like it does with the Playbar?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 December 2018, 19:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

It should, the software is the same. You’d need to be sure the new Amp has a sight line to the remote, since it’s IR. The sensor on the Amp is on the front at the bottom. Essentially, as long as it’s not hidden behind a solid door 😉
Badge
On Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K the Siri Remote will control the Sonos Amp's volume via HDMI ARC by default. You might be able to see the volume level on-screen depending on your TV model.

If you are using HDMI-CEC to turn on your TV automatically when the Apple TV wakes up it means you will not be able to control the volume without having your TV turned on.

You could also try the option "TV via IR" if you would like to control the Sonos Amp when the TV is turned off. For this option to work you would have to teach the IR code from the Siri Remote to the Sonos Amp within the Controller settings and disable HDMI-CEC within the Apple TV settings.

Cheers,
I'm not sure what else, if anything, they'll get me to try before RMAing it.

They got me to try a few things and then sent out a new unit. Not only does the remote sensor work on the new one but it was possible to setup without using an ethernet cable which I had thought I must be doing wrong on the previous one. Must have been more things defective with it than just the IR sensor!
I have the new Sonos amp, Samsung TV from 2016 and the Apple TV 4K. I can confirm it will control the volume of the amp through ARC but for some reason it stops the Apple TV turning off my tv when I put it to sleep. It will wake the tv though.

I only ever use the Apple TV and never use to use the Samsung remote before. Anyone know a work around just using the Apple TV remote to run the tv off. Maybe ARC disables anynet+?
Exact same problem as Moonpig here (but with LG TV)... Any solution anyone?
Hi Shotvedt. Have ordered the hdmi to optical adaptor. My friend says you can’t use ARC and cec (anynet+) at the same time. If I use the optical that gets rid of Arc and allows me to use cec (anynet+) on the Apple TV. I will then program the Apple TV remote to do the Sonos volume. My mate has a spare harmony hub I can borrow to simulate the Sonos ir volume, to program the apple remote.

The optical adaptor arrives tomorrow so will update you then if you like?
Weird my Apple TV just turned the tv off.
Yes, please let me know how that works out - thanks!
Tracking says it does not arrive till tomorrow now. ☹️

Anyway I’m sure it will work as you can program a remote on the Sonos app too. I used a old control I had from a amp and used it to program the Sonos and Apple TV. Now the Apple TV remote controls the Sonos amp and not the tv through ARC.
After all that it arrived today after all. Got it 100% working so the Apple TV turns the tv on and off and the Apple TV remote still does the volume on the Sonos amp. You need the optical adaptor for this setup.
Clever solution! My projector doesn’t have ARC or optical out 😞 Any idea how I can train the Apple TV on the Sonos Amp IR signals without something like your Harmony remote?
Have you gone in to the settings on the AppleTV, under Remotes and Devices, and set the Home Theater Control>Volume Control to be "Auto via IR (TV)"?
Badge
Sonos Amp, Apple TV 4K and a 2018 LG OLED (B8) here. Amp connected with HDMI ARC, both switching the Tv on/off and controlling Amp volume with the Siri a Remote worked straight out of the box, no need to touch any of the settings.
Have you gone in to the settings on the AppleTV, under Remotes and Devices, and set the Home Theater Control>Volume Control to be "Auto via IR (TV)"?

Yes, I did make that change, but the volume wouldn’t adjust with the Apple TV remote on either Line In or Optical. For now I’m resigned to using AirPlay 2 despite a few tradeoffs.
Yes, I did make that change, but the volume wouldn’t adjust with the Apple TV remote on either Line In or Optical. For now I’m resigned to using AirPlay 2 despite a few tradeoffs.

On my Amp I can only get IR volume control to work if I hold the remote really, really close to the receiver on the bottom edge. I'm talking less than 30cm close. Works better if its slightly below the Amp too.

If I turn the Amp on its edge and point the remote at the underside then it works from a couple of meters away.

Training different remotes and using fresh batteries doesn't make a difference. I'm guessing the IR receiver is defective in some units.
If that's the case, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos to discuss it. If there's a fault in the hardware, they're usually pretty good about figuring out how to get it fixed/replaced.
If that's the case, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos to discuss it. If there's a fault in the hardware, they're usually pretty good about figuring out how to get it fixed/replaced.

I'm currently going through the support process. I've spent time trying to fix things via Facebook messenger and now they want me to call. I'll leave work early to do that later today.

I'm not sure what else, if anything, they'll get me to try before RMAing it.
Glad to hear you've got a new one, and it's working the way you expected!