New sonos amp and passive speakers vs play 5 for turntable.

• 16 January 2019
  • 12 replies

So I originally started with my turntable hooked up to a connect and 2 powered speakers. Had an issue with the connect so I returned it and ended up going with a play 5. I feel like my turntable does not sound near a good through the line in on the play 5 as it did running through the connect. Is this just in my mind?

I was thinking about possibly returning the play 5 and going with the new amp and a couple of passive klipsch speakers. Would the sound quality be any better on the new amp in this setup vs the connect. Would either option sound better than running it through the play 5?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Hi. The line-in performance should be identical. It is all using the same process and tech. Quality of cable might make a bit of difference but I'd be sceptical about that. So the sound quality will come down to the relative quality of the amplification and speakers, and I don't feel I could speculate on that.

For a fair comparison for a similar outgo, you ought to compare a stereo pair of 5s with an Amp + speakers.
I am using audioquest evergreen cables on the play 5 right now and that is the same thing I was using through the connect. The turntable sounds much more muffled though the play 5 than it did though the connect. Streaming through spotify and apple much sounds incredible though the play 5 which is what is bumming me out about the turntable sounding so bad.
Why not try something else through the line in - stream Spotify on your phone through the line-in. If that sounds good it isn't the line-in that is the problem. It it sounds muffled, it is the line in (or possibly the cable if same one used)
I tried that as well to make sure something wasnt wrong with my turntable or preamp. the line-in just sounds so much more muffled even with my phone plugged in to it.
I don't think this will be the cause, but worth eliminating... in theory you should get better sound with line in audio set to uncompressed. What have you got? I doubt the difference would be audible though.
I already have it set as uncompressed. That was one of the first things I changed when I set it all up.
I haven't got anything else to suggest. You could call Sonos Support to see if they can detect any problem if they remote access your system. Or you could order another P:5 direct from Sonos and see if the line-in is the same - then maybe return both. Or just give up on P:5 and go the Amp + speakers route.
So I want to make sure I have this correct....the new amp, connect, & line-in on the play 5 should all have the same exact sound quality with my turntable?
Yes. An analog line-in on a Sonos device is the same, no matter what the hardware connection is RCA or 3.5mm.
So I want to make sure I have this correct....the new amp, connect, & line-in on the play 5 should all have the same exact sound quality with my turntable?

Yes. Note, make sure the input to the Play:5 is a 3.5 mm stereo plug, not a summed to mono plug. A stereo will have 2 black rings, a mono will have one. Also, make sure it is fully seated. If it isn't it can cause the sound to be mono or only play through one channel.

Yes. Note, make sure the input to the Play:5 is a 3.5 mm stereo plug, not a summed to mono plug. A stereo will have 2 black rings, a mono will have one. Also, make sure it is fully seated. If it isn't it can cause the sound to be mono or only play through one channel.

I've tried 2 different cables both are high quality rca to 3.5 stereo cables. They did seem to be fully seated, but I will try and again as soon as I get home because it did sound a bit more mono and flat.
Just wanted to give a little update on this. I thought that the 3.5mm plug was going in all the way since it was clicking in, but I took it out last night and peeped inside the hole and a tiny piece of plastic was preventing it from going in all the way. I was able to shake it out of the plug. Once I plugged my cable back in and tested the turntable all of my issues have been solved! Thanks so much for everyones help on here. Everything sounds just like I want it now!