Answered

Need Help Choosing a budget AV Receiver with Audio Line Out for my Connect:Amp

Badge
My Onkyo 705 HDMI died. I am looking for a 7 channel AV Receiver with audio line out. That seems to be hard to find.
(And, the Onkyo wouldn't convert all digital source audio to analog. )
The Receiver is driving 7 Mirage NanoSats. The Sources are all HDMI: CableTV, Chromecast & DVD
I have seen these: (Even the manuals are ambiguous about the audio out!)
- Sony STRDH770
- Denon AVR-S710W
What low end 7.x receivers are you using with a *usable* audio out for my Connect:Amp?
Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Paulw123 26 May 2016, 10:48

View original

19 replies

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what sources do you want to feed to the Connect:Amp via your receiver?
Badge
Sources are CableTV, Chromecast, DVD. Today.

Here's a response from Crutchfield:
--
Choices are very limited as due to digital management and more, most receivers will lack any conversion from digital sources to analog outputs now. There are some higher end models that do offer an option on their 2nd zone outputs.

Yamaha is the manufacturer that does this currently on some of their AVENTAGE units. The RX-A1060 is the least expensive we offer.... ($1,100)
---
I could buy two Onkyo 805s for that.

While all Receivers seem to omit the old Audio Out Monitor ports, it appears that some do put out analog audio to their Zone 2.. It is just NOT clear.
My question was prompted by the thought that if you have a 7:1 system, why are you pushing DVD audio (for example) to the Connect:Amp at all? Sorry if I am missing something.
Badge
Why not? It's a choice. Walk from living room to any room and hear the show. same for TV and chromecast.
Watch Stanley Cup through Window out on the Deck!

Do you have an idea on receivers that put out analog audio today?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I couldn't find one. Have you thought of using the headphone jack?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
would something like this work? Has it got HDMI passthrough to TV, then L/R analogue output to connect?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Digital-Toslink-Converter-Adapter/dp/B016XMDKXC/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1464252242&sr=1-19&keywords=digital+to+analog+audio+converter
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
For av/receiver, how about sony str-dn860
http://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn860/review
Has chromecast built in, so apparently when you cast something to it, it turns itself on and selects correct channel for output, has bi-amp for bi-wiring speakers as well.
Badge
Both of those are good ideas. Thank you all for helping.
The adapter may be the way to go in the end - keeping that link.

The sony 860 has something a few have, the two TV Audio Outs.
What is not clear, is if that audio out works in all configurations, specifically if the HDMI is used to Monitor and the 7 speakers are in use, does it still do line out?
I can't find that answer. But, to be fair, my questions are still getting more pointed with vendors and manufacturers.
I am surprised that Sonos hasn't weighed in - I need to call them...
Badge
I was wrong. It appears from the Sony STR-DN860 manual that the two TV Audio jacks are for Audio IN from the TV.
It appears there is no place to get audio out on top of the 7.1
I am surprised that Sonos hasn't weighed in - I need to call them...

Why would you expect Sonos to know about other manufacturers' products?
Badge
Basic Business. Basic Product Management. Know your market. Know your customer.
I have seen the customer cry for other inputs to the Connect:Amp.
And, I have talked to Sonos support before. Great guys, very knowledgable.
My expectations are lower that they monitor every thread here... I have my work to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Basic Business. Basic Product Management. Know your market. Know your customer.
I have seen the customer cry for other inputs to the Connect:Amp.
And, I have talked to Sonos support before. Great guys, very knowledgable.
My expectations are lower that they monitor every thread here... I have my work to do.

Hi sound5us,

We read every post made here though we don't always get involved. When it comes to recommending other hardware we try to let the community make suggestions instead. I haven't worked with many 7.1 receivers myself, and certainly none that I'd be comfortable recommending.
Badge
That's great, Ryan.
So, what are the Use Cases for Connect:Amp today?
You saw Crutchfield's response to me...
What are the sources you see in general having an Audio out for Connect:Amp?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
It's a bit less common to see the unit being used as you're looking to as less receivers use simultaneous digital and analog outs. I've seen some trouble with receivers and pass throughs like this, but I've seen some work too.

Use case for the line in is pretty open. It's an RCA connection, so the most common uses we see are hooking up another device to add another audio source to Sonos, like an Airport Express to use Airplay with Sonos, or linking in a turntable. That's of course for the line-in only. The CONNECT:AMP also has the speaker connections so it can power ceiling speakers, or outdoor units.

The device itself has a lot of different potential functionality, as you know, so there's so much you can do with it.
Badge
Of course, mine drives 2 definitive technology 6500s outside. scared my neighbor two yards & a road away. my question was for the old RCA inputs...
For me, all those other sources are part of my home theater.
It sounds like we are at an inflection point in this market and digital rights marshalls are overshadowing analog audio anymore...
I'll keep looking.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Could you just use the stereo RCA outputs from the tv, so whatever is currently on tv, the sound comes out of sonos, probably with a bit of delay tho.
Badge
good idea! For me, I already routed the HDMI cables through the wall to the TV, the old 150lb TV that's hung on the wall... I can test the delay.
That leaves other sources w/o video out or makes them go through there too.
The Digital to analog converter idea above also requires an Audio Out on the Receiver.
They are basically trying to stop us from getting this source using Receivers as a digital rights control point.
These are all good ideas to get around that!
Badge
I think this is *The Answer!*
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464357215&sr=1-4&keywords=hdmi+splitter+audio
Badge
I am reading & hearing a LOT by these Receiver Vendors on the new increased quality of digital music and the loss in going through Analog...
Is this Marketing? Or, is it true?
Is this another reason for Sonos to update these Amps?
Thank you all for your help.