need headphone jack or Bluetooth on Play:1

• 2 February 2017
  • 13 replies

I disagree with the assessment by Sonos that a headphone jack isn't desirable. Especially for the Play:1, because of where it might be used. I use mine on a bedside table and often cannot play it because family is around. It should have a headphone jack, either that or a Bluetooth connection so Bluetooth headphones could connect. Either one of these would make my Sonos speaker 1000x more useful.

This all seems like simple common sense to me. It might not be for the larger speakers, but it is for the Play:1. In this regard I am quite disappointed in the Sonos experience. Sure I can use the headphone jack on my phone or ipad, but there are already too many devices and complications in life, and I don't want to get into explaining why going from one to another to another is just added stress and complication. I think you can figure it out.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Nice resurrection of a year old thread, but exactly how does your reasoning conflict with my statement that they wish to make a profit? As a matter of fact, if the search function was worth a damn, I could show you posts where I said the exact same thing about the Connect. That is maximizing profit 101. Beside that, my post had exactly zero mentions of customer demand. Only ROI.

But whatever, it still doesn't refute the fact Sonos has listened to users on hundreds of features.
Userlevel 2
So what is the matter with this company that doesn’t listen to its loyal buyers?

They most certainly do listen to their customers. Sonos has implemented hundreds of customer initiated requests. However, there is much more to the equation than simple customer wants. For one, the inclusion of a headphone jack on the Play:1 at this time would require a retooling of the entire manufacturing line. If Sonos thought a headphone jack would be a positive ROI given the expense of retooling, they probably would be doing it. However, they obviously do not see the ROI being positive, or you would have seen it by now. This has nothing to do with whether they listen to their customers or not, and everything to do with being a company who wishes to make a profit.

I find it very amusing and innocent that you would say if Sonos doesn’t do it, it’s probably not in demand.

The real reason they don’t do it is because everyone would just buy the Sonos 1, use the headphones jack to connect to their existing amps which will negate the need for the ridiculously expensive connect they are forcing us to buy.

The connect is overpriced and hasn’t been updated since Sonos did not want to be in the music streaming business but in the smart speaker business and it’s purely to make more money, and has nothing to do with what customers want or not...
I have a similar request, I need to be able to get the tv sound (or whatever else is piped through the sound bar) into a set of headphones for late night listening.

The simplest way for Sonos to make this available to me without a huge financial outlay (for me :-)) is to update the iPhone app to allow it to become a Sonos output device (I would even pay for the app to do that), then I can use it with my existing setup and Bose Bluetooth headphones

Pretty please....
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I use a Connect and it is connected to a small headphone amplifier by the bedside.
Plus it's tricky trying to play a Sonos playlist of tracks from your NAS through phone or tablet headphones.
Because I would prefer to interact with fewer devices . It's just personal preference.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Maybe a silly question, but why don't you just use your phone/tablet/whatever with your headphones?
OK thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the feedback, mperetz. I'll pass it along to the team for you. Right now our focus is on working on voice control and better integration with music services, but the team always likes to know what people are talking about.
OK Who can argue with that. So apparently there is no demand. I was just stating how I felt and what my needs are.
So what is the matter with this company that doesn’t listen to its loyal buyers?

They most certainly do listen to their customers. Sonos has implemented hundreds of customer initiated requests. However, there is much more to the equation than simple customer wants. For one, the inclusion of a headphone jack on the Play:1 at this time would require a retooling of the entire manufacturing line. If Sonos thought a headphone jack would be a positive ROI given the expense of retooling, they probably would be doing it. However, they obviously do not see the ROI being positive, or you would have seen it by now. This has nothing to do with whether they listen to their customers or not, and everything to do with being a company who wishes to make a profit.
The Play5 Gen1 is the "supported" way to connect headphones to Sonos. It is still very much in demand for the exact use cases you describe.