My Letter to Sonos Management

Show first post

116 replies

I'd say it's more like buying a Golf then finding out that it's not waterproof so you need to always leave it in a garage when it's raining.

Not at all.

It's more like buying an expensive car, and finding that it doesn't have climate control, when you assumed it would have at that price.

The fact is DTS is not a compulsory component of all home cinema systems.

It is a common one, a much desired one and, in individual cases, an indispensable one, but the observation that there are surround systems on the market from common sources (including Hifi shops) is proof that not every surround sound system on sale today supports DTS.

Assuming a system supports DTS (or any other of the many standards) just because of its price is dangerous.

On the other hand, irrespective of individual complaints, in the market in general DTS is quite common and those less versed in home cinema are likely to not realise such details, although, such people are most likely to connect the Playbar as instructed, and it won't be an issue.

However, I do think there is scope for confusion from those who are knowledgeable enough of the technology to know that bypassing the TV is a possibility, but who aren't savvy enough to check the specifications on products they buy.

In this respect I really hope Sonos sort out DTS as an upgrade in the near future, as it will simplify the purchasing decision for new users, as well as expand the options for connectivity.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge
Great balanced post by Majik on the subject which is hard to disagree with.
Badge
Keith, this is a naive question but is DTS as big of an issue across the pond as in the U.S. Having lived in Italy, NTSC/PAL changed movie specs a little. Whereas I cannot go to my local RedBox movie kiosk without finding 80%+ new blu ray releases being DTS exclusive, do you find more DD5.1 options across the pond?
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
It's more like buying an expensive car, and finding that it doesn't have climate control, when you assumed it would have at that price.

Indeed, should have read the brochure 😃 Wish i'd not started these analogies!

What is really needed is a Playbar:2 with 6 HDMI inputs, ARC and DTS, now that would be a product worth the price tag :rolleyes:

Keith, this is a naive question but is DTS as big of an issue across the pond as in the U.S. Having lived in Italy, NTSC/PAL changed movie specs a little. Whereas I cannot go to my local RedBox movie kiosk without finding 80%+ new blu ray releases being DTS exclusive, do you find more DD5.1 options across the pond?

Same as US I guess, I rip my bluray's to hard drive, some have DD tracks, some not, one I did today was DTS only

TBH I don't know, because I rarely buy blu ray. Honestly, these days I don't watch many films or much TV any more.

For me the Playbar is perfect (if pricey) because it gives a vastly upgraded sound compared to my TV, but I don't need a full 5.1 system.

In fact, I have a old Sony/Kef 5.1/M&K 5.1 system in my garage which I'm thinking of selling because I no longer feel the need for it. I spent the best part of 10 years planning to set it up after I moved home, but it is wasted in my current living room (which is less than ideal from a layout and acoustics PoV) and my lifestyle has changed enough in that time that it probably wouldn't get much decent use.

As I said, for my use the Playbar (plus SUB) is ideal, and I don't have a use for DTS.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi there,

First, yes, I've skimmed (actually mostly read) all 11 (!) pages here.

I just bought my first ever TV (no joke), and figured I should go for the gold and get a Sonos setup... probably a playbar, two play 1s, and a sub.

But this DTS issue is worrying me. I just checked my DVDs: of the blurays, it seems 100% of them list variations of "DTS." It's a bit confusing, though. One DVD, "Firefly - The Complete Series" mentions "DTS HD 5.1", "Dolby Digital", and "DTS-HD."

1) Is it even worth striving for a 5.1 setup vs. just buying a playbar with such DVDs?

2) For my older (non-bluray) DVDs... will surround sound be problematic, even if I buy a toslink switch?

3) I expect to actually watch movies more frequently via Netflix or Amazon, either via
a) The apps on my Samsung 7100 TV
b) The Google TV apps on my bluray player
c) (for Netflix) my Chromecast
Does this change the worthwhileness of getting the play 1s?

(I don't expect to often watch any 'regular' TV programs not via Netflix or Amazon)

and lastly 4) Is it conceivable that DTS support could be added in software vs. requiring an actual updated piece of hardware?

Thanks!
Userlevel 2
The real problem here is not what we should know or shouldnt know....the truth of the matter, as the playbar stands now, it is potentially obsolete in the future. We have no control over which Blu-rays or streaming services will offer 5.1 in the future, its very likely they could all settle on a format that the playbar does not support. In that case, we're stuck with a $1600 stereo solution.
Hi there,

First, yes, I've skimmed (actually mostly read) all 11 (!) pages here.

I just bought my first ever TV (no joke), and figured I should go for the gold and get a Sonos setup... probably a playbar, two play 1s, and a sub.

But this DTS issue is worrying me. I just checked my DVDs: of the blurays, it seems 100% of them list variations of "DTS." It's a bit confusing, though. One DVD, "Firefly - The Complete Series" mentions "DTS HD 5.1", "Dolby Digital", and "DTS-HD."

1) Is it even worth striving for a 5.1 setup vs. just buying a playbar with such DVDs?

2) For my older (non-bluray) DVDs... will surround sound be problematic, even if I buy a toslink switch?

3) I expect to actually watch movies more frequently via Netflix or Amazon, either via
a) The apps on my Samsung 7100 TV
b) The Google TV apps on my bluray player
c) (for Netflix) my Chromecast
Does this change the worthwhileness of getting the play 1s?

(I don't expect to often watch any 'regular' TV programs not via Netflix or Amazon)

and lastly 4) Is it conceivable that DTS support could be added in software vs. requiring an actual updated piece of hardware?

Thanks!

My 2 cents after having the Playbar for a few weeks now... If you are after "true" 5.1 and watch a lot of movies where you want the best experience, I would not go with the Sonos-based system. I went the opposite direction; wanting to simplify and so for me, the Playbar (I don't have a sub or Play:1 surrounds) is good enough.

Be aware that the Chromecast uses Dolby Digital Plus for Netflix , which the Playbar does not support. So you will get only stereo while watching Netflix with Chromecast. Whether your TV or Blu-ray player apps will output 5.1 is hard to say. My TV is from ~2009 and the built-in Netflix app only outputs stereo.

I use an AppleTV for Netflix which does output 5.1 to the Playbar (assuming the movie supports it).

Noone can say for sure if the Playbar can or will be updated to handle DTS or any other formats in the future. There is plenty of discussion and speculation in these forums, as you may have seen!
Userlevel 2
Just to say thank you to all contributors to this thread, it has, as they say, "been an education" - I have quite a few incompatible BDs and concerns over the use of Sky HD and suitable TVs so regretfully I will not be buying a playbar at this time. Although I would still like to integrate the TV into the rest of my Sonos kit it seems that any news from Sonos will likely to come too late for me.
Userlevel 2
Just bought my $2000 worth of equipment and I am am disappointed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have to say that if I was going to spend that kind of money on something (anything), I'd be doing some online research first to see exactly what it CAN/CAN't do! Then I would not be disappointed!
Userlevel 2

I just cannot believe that anyone would make that kind of investment without a little research. What does disappointed mean -care to quantify.
Then send it back for refund under Sonos' return policy.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My 2 cents after having the Playbar for a few weeks now... If you are after "true" 5.1 and watch a lot of movies where you want the best experience, I would not go with the Sonos-based system. I went the opposite direction; wanting to simplify and so for me, the Playbar (I don't have a sub or Play:1 surrounds) is good enough.

Be aware that the Chromecast uses Dolby Digital Plus for Netflix , which the Playbar does not support. So you will get only stereo while watching Netflix with Chromecast. Whether your TV or Blu-ray player apps will output 5.1 is hard to say. My TV is from ~2009 and the built-in Netflix app only outputs stereo.

I use an AppleTV for Netflix which does output 5.1 to the Playbar (assuming the movie supports it).

Noone can say for sure if the Playbar can or will be updated to handle DTS or any other formats in the future. There is plenty of discussion and speculation in these forums, as you may have seen!

A belated thanks to you, bkswain! :)

I just received and set up my Sonos stuff tonight (indeed, a Playbar, Sub, and two Play 1s; I figured in a worst case, I could repurpose the Play 1s in a different room or send 'em back).

And I've now verified that:
1) Playing Netflix via the TV app outputs Dolby.
2) Just as you suggested, Netflixing from my Chromecast outputs stereo 😕.
3) The one blu-ray I've tried also come out in stereo (but I guess I could use one of those toslink things to mitigate that, at least for those blu-rays that have a 5.1 track).

Thanks again! Crossing fingers that Sonos soon gives us a late Christmas present of DTS support and flexible TV / music mode switching 🙂.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
We all hope.......
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?p=215813#post215813