Question

My Bridge just died, what do I do now?

• 6 November 2016
  • 10 replies

Please can someone help me?

Controllers had stopped connecting to Sonos. I'm running 3 play1's a playbar and sub connected to the bridge. The bridge is showing a intermittent white light flash, no lights on reverse.

I have:
  1. Removed all devices from network
  2. Restarted Router
  3. Power to Bridge
  4. Powered speakers one by one (flash white, then end at solid orange)
  5. Replaced Ethernet cable to Bridge
= No fix

Just hardwired ethernet straight into a Play 1 = system up and controllers all working!

My Questions

Do I actually need a bridge? I can't even see where to buy one?

I don't want to have a Play 1 hardwired in its current (fix position) - Is there a way to run without one over wifi? Others seem to be running play1 without a bridge, do I have old hardware? (18months)?

Hope someone can advise me!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
I have exactly the same problem.
10:00 AM November 6th my complete Sonos system lost connection.

1 Sonos Boost
1 Sub
1 Playbar
1 Play 1
3 Play 3
1 Play 1
1 Play 5

I tried almost everything.
But it is not working anymore.

Sonos help!!!
Exactly the same problem here too!
As long as one Sonos device is connected via ethernet cable, you don't need a bridge.

Sbaumeler: Shut down your router and all Sonos kit. Start the router. Once it is up and running, turn on your boost. When that is ready to go, bring the rest of your gear up.

JMC: Restart all your kit the same way.
Thanks for the reply - just figured it out a slightly different way. Just running the house through the router instead of using the Bridge...

My Solve: Play1 connected via ethernet, to get to controller app: Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup > Enter wifi PW. Disconnect Ethernet.

Throw Bridge in bin. Scare children with Linkin Park, at obnoxious volume.

Mr_JMC & sbaumeler hope it works for you!
BRIDGEs are not generally known to fail. However over time their power supply 'wall wart' can lose output voltage, yielding the kind of symptoms reported. A £6 visit to Amazon is sufficient to obtain a compatible replacement.

Beyond a handful of players I would still favour SonosNet operation.
My bridge power supply failed after about 4 years or so, I now have a play 1 hooked up as well as the bridge.
I now have a play 1 hooked up as well as the bridge.
Why bother with the BRIDGE?
My Bridge just died as well...took awhile to sort out, as the entire system froze, and needed to be re-installed, one device at a time. I have a Play:5, two Bridges (which I think are now Sonos Connects), and one Bridge w/Amp (Connect:Amp?). System is about 5 years old, and never had this problem before. One of the Bridges is not working...flashing ethernet plugs, similar to the above "My Bridge Died" descriptions. I'm interested in ratty's suggestion that it's the power supply.:BRIDGEs are not generally known to fail. However over time their power supply 'wall wart' can lose output voltage, yielding the kind of symptoms reported. A £6 visit to Amazon is sufficient to obtain a compatible replacement.

Beyond a handful of players I would still favour SonosNet operation.
Suggestions?
The defective Sonos device referred to above is a ZonePlayer SP90.
My post was about the Sonos BRIDGE. You're confusing this with the CONNECT/ZP90. If one of yours is malfunctioning you'll need to talk to Sonos Support.

By the way you wouldn't have needed to reinstall the system at all. This would have wiped out all your settings and Sonos playlists. If a wired node gives trouble just wire one of the others.