Answered

Multizone SONOS system with buit-ins inclusive of a TV surround zone

• 8 February 2017
  • 5 replies

I am looking to wire up a house and use built in speakers to create 6 zones (inside & outside), inclusive of a TV surround set up that I would like to have available as a separate SONOS zone when not watching TV. I am assuming CONNECT:AMPs for zones to connect to built in speakers, CONNECT for my existing traditional set-up with amp/preamp/speakers, and I don't know how to create a full surround TV zone that uses only built in speakers? Any ideas? We're starting the wiring two days from now... Thank you!
icon

Best answer by M_Rodriguez 8 February 2017, 18:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I don't know how to create a full surround TV zone that uses only built in speakers?
Neither do I, assuming you want something Sonos-based. The only 5.1-capable Sonos product is PLAYBAR which is, clearly, not built in. It can however optionally use built-in speakers for the surround channels, driven by a suitably configured CONNECT:AMP (which requires a wired network connection to the PLAYBAR).

Perhaps you should consider a conventional AV receiver to drive passive built-in speakers, maybe with a CONNECT to provide Sonos sources.
Badge +1
I believe i have the answer you need.

6 zone
you already figured out the 6 zones: either Sonos amps or sonos connect with a separate amp.

Surround
this setup is a bit trickier and cant be done on the app, you'll need a sound bar for the tv to give you audio, a Sonos sub, and either 2 Play1 for surround or a Sonos Amp.
Now the trick is to log into the Sonos Amp via the IP address and change the configuration.

Support Material
Here is a link that will guide you step by step with what you need to accomplish.
http://www.sonos.com/documents/productguides/en/connectampguide_en.pdf
Right, so it looks like for the "TV Zone" I could do the BAR & a CONNECT:AMP that would drive the back built-in speakers, assuming that when not used in TV setup these exist as a regular SONOS zone. BAR is not a built in but can be mounted on the wall below (or above) the TV pretty seamlessly.

Thank you,
George
Badge +1
Correct, hope you found the answer to be clear. For future sonos users id advice to check the answer that helped you.
(There's a button on the bottom left that will allow this Check)
Thanks. I looked through the docs and it looks like a way to go. I needed to make sure before I order the stuff...