Multiple Wired Sonos Products plus Boost

• 11 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi all........Can anyone help me out here please.
I have multiple Sonos speakers around the house, some are wired at the router and all others are connected via wifi. I just added a Boost, and connected it to the router via ethernet. Does the Boost now take precedence over any other wired products connected to the router in order to create its own network?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It depends what you mean by 'precedence'. SonosNet determines how to route wireless connections using the Spanning Tree Protocol (a modified version thereof). Wiring a Boost will usually make it the STP 'root bridge', unless some non-Sonos component has a competing 'bridge priority'. Depending on the disposition of the wireless Sonos nodes, some may be more inclined to connect to the Boost than to the wired players.

At first glance this may all seem like mumbo jumbo. At a basic level however you can start by inspecting the SonosNet wireless connections by going to http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review where x.x.x.x is the IP address of a player (not the Boost), then clicking on Network Matrix. Coloured cells in the body of the matrix indicate an active connection.

By the way, if you really don't want a wired player to act as a SonosNet access point you can turn off its radio using the Sonos controller. The option is buried in room settings.
Hi. Let us go back. Why did you add the Boost? It isn't really the case that one device takes precedence. I don't think that question means anything. SonosNet runs if one or more devices are wired.