Answered

Multiple Sonos Connects

• 20 August 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello,

Looking to purchase two Sonos Connects for outdoor speakers. I currently have a spare receiver that has two "zones" for speaker outputs. My question is, is it possible to wire two sets of speakers to the receiver. Each going to their own zone for different areas outdoors. Then use a Y splitter in reverse to combine the connects to one input on the receiver. My thinking was that I would be able to use one receiver instead of two when the wires and connects will be side by side. Is there a better way to accomplish this? I have concerns about using a splitter in that it may degrade the levels.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by airforceteacher 20 August 2019, 05:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
If you post your receiver make and model number we may be able to help.

in general, if you have a modern receiver, it probably has extra zones and you can have multiple audio devices (like Sonos Connects) playing simultaneously on different speakers.

You can also connect more than one speaker to each speaker terminal, but there is a limit to this, and it will be heavily dependent on the speakers themselves and the recommended minimum and maximum impedance in the receiver manual.
Thanks for the reply.

My receiver is a Harman Kardon HK 3390. It is now discontinued from manufacturer but since I have it collecting dust thought it would be a good use for it.
You clearly can't combine the outputs from two Connects into one receiver input and expect different audio to somehow emerge from the two zones at the other end. You'd end up with a cacophonous combination of both signals.

Combining two outputs using a reversed Y splitter is also often a good way to damage both pieces of source equipment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Stereo only, no zones so multiple Connect inputs would be of no value.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/65727/Harman-Kardon-Hk-3390.html?page=6#manual
Thanks for all the replies. I believe my question has been answered.