Answered

Multiple inputs for 2018 AMP

• 2 December 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi,
How should one manage multiple components with just 1 HDMI in on the 2018 AMP. I've got 3 sources (HTPC, Xbox, Switch) The way I see it, there are 2 options:
1) Get an HDMI switcher with at least 3 inputs and 2 outputs. Send 1 output to the AMP and 1 to the TV.
2) Get an HDMI switcher with 1 output and send that output to the TV, and then use an HDMI ARC connection from the TV back to the Sonos 2018 AMP.

So, what are the pros/cons of these options. Would syncing be better with option 2 since the Sonos and TV are on the same HDMI ARC connection?
Any other suggestions?
I've always used an AVR in the past and plugged all components into the TV. I do not use the TV apps.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 3 December 2018, 20:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Hi. The intention is method 3. All HDMI to separate inputs on TV. HDMI-ARC to Amp. No switch.
Badge
Hi,
Ok. Thanks.
In my situation the TV is not near the components and I have to run HDMI cables 20+ feet to the TV. I can’t make 4-5 HDMI cables work over that run to the tv. So.....if that isn’t an option wouldn’t a switch going to 1 input on the TV, and then 1 cable back to AMP work?

Thanks!
Brandon
Badge
Who set's "answered" flags....moderators? I asked the question and while I appreciate the response from John, I asked for clarification because I still don't understand how to set up the AMP if I can't run HDMI from all components into the TV and 1 HDMI back to the AMP via HDMI ARC.

Should everything work just as well if I use a high quality switch that sends every source via 1 cable to the TV, and then either 1 cable back from the TV to AMP or alternatively split the signal and send simultaneously to the AMP and TV via a switch/splitter?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think the original poster has control of the answer flag, folks activating it in error is a common issue here. I can't see just how it is done as I have no questions that aren't marked as answered or have no replies to mark.

Avoid the issue by selecting conversation instead of question when starting a topic.
Who set's "answered" flags....moderators? I asked the question and while I appreciate the response from John, I asked for clarification because I still don't understand how to set up the AMP if I can't run HDMI from all components into the TV and 1 HDMI back to the AMP via HDMI ARC.

As you can tell, an answered question doesn't lock a thread or prevent follow up questions.

Should everything work just as well if I use a high quality switch that sends every source via 1 cable to the TV, and then either 1 cable back from the TV to AMP or alternatively split the signal and send simultaneously to the AMP and TV via a switch/splitter?

Ideally, you want to go through the TV, assuming your TV has passthrough. Having the AMP connected to the TV means you also get CEC functions to turn on/off the TV by voice, which may or may not be important to you.

If that won't work than a switch that sends HDMI to the TV and optical to the Beam is what you want. You cannot send HDMI to the Beam, only HDMI-ARC or Optical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@skraddah, I removed the best answer flag for you. You can make another as the answer if you'd like. Danny's above looks to have the clarification you're looking for, but let us know if you have any followups.
Badge

Ideally, you want to go through the TV, assuming your TV has passthrough. Having the AMP connected to the TV means you also get CEC functions to turn on/off the TV by voice, which may or may not be important to you.

If that won't work than a switch that sends HDMI to the TV and optical to the Beam is what you want. You cannot send HDMI to the Beam, only HDMI-ARC or Optical.

Thanks Danny,
I don't have a Beam (I'll use a 4.1 system with the AMP if I can get this to work...with 2 hard wired front speakers), but it sounds like things should be fine if I use an HDMI Switch to run the signal to the TV and then use the ARC channel to run back to the AMP.
However, that would require running another hidden HDMI cable.
If, as you suggest, a splitter/switch that runs HDMI to the TV and optical elsewhere should work, then I can't see why an HDMI switch that has 2 HDMI outputs (one to TV and one to AMP) wouldn't also work, right?
I use a Harmony remote so I'm not overly worried about CEC control.

Actually, after reading, I want to make sure you didn't mistype "Beam" instead of "AMP". Are you saying that a regular HDMI input won't work on the AMP? isn't the HDMI-ARC the same as HDMI with additional information (CEC stuff), or is there something fundamentally different?

Thanks!
Brandon
Sorry, I meant the Amp, realize I said Beam once or twice.

Thanks Danny,
I don't have a Beam (I'll use a 4.1 system with the AMP if I can get this to work...with 2 hard wired front speakers), but it sounds like things should be fine if I use an HDMI Switch to run the signal to the TV and then use the ARC channel to run back to the AMP.
However, that would require running another hidden HDMI cable.
If, as you suggest, a splitter/switch that runs HDMI to the TV and optical elsewhere should work, then I can't see why an HDMI switch that has 2 HDMI outputs (one to TV and one to AMP) wouldn't also work, right?

No, your source devices and switch are not going to send ARC (Audio Return Channel) with their HDMI. Yes, there is an audio component in the signal, but it is not the same thing as ARC. Only your TV is going to send audio through the ARC channel.

I use a Harmony remote so I'm not overly worried about CEC control.

Actually, after reading, I want to make sure you didn't mistype "Beam" instead of "AMP". Are you saying that a regular HDMI input won't work on the AMP? isn't the HDMI-ARC the same as HDMI with additional information (CEC stuff), or is there something fundamentally different?

It is different. ARC and CEC are not the same thing.
Badge

No, your source devices and switch are not going to send ARC (Audio Return Channel) with their HDMI. Yes, there is an audio component in the signal, but it is not the same thing as ARC. Only your TV is going to send audio through the ARC channel.

It is different. ARC and CEC are not the same thing.

Many thanks....I was just being a bit slow with ARC and CEC and know they are different things...but that info on ARC is exactly what I needed to know. So a dual output HDMI splitter won't work because ARC isn't part of the standard HDMI signal, and needs to be generated by the TV. Thanks for that info, now I know why I need to use the TV ARC output.

I may just mount the AMP on the wall behind my TV in that case...it is only 2.5 inches!

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Brandon