Answered

Multiple Connect Amps

• 31 October 2017
  • 8 replies

I’m in the process of setting up 2 separate outdoor areas with wired speakers that I want to set up as 2 Sonos zones.
I understand that when setting up wired speakers, you wire each pair of speakers to its own connect amp to form the 2 zones.
My question is, do both connect Amps need to be connected to my router, or does just one of the connect Amps need to be connected to the router?
The rest of my house is a 5.1 in the living room and play 3’s in the bedroom ‘s and garage; once one of the connect Amps are connected to my router, can the rest of the house run wirelessly or would you recommend other devices be plugged into the router.
icon

Best answer by Lucid AV 31 October 2017, 03:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Connecting one Sonos device to your router - either by Ethernet cable or wiring a Sonos Boost to the router - will allow the Sonos system to set-up its own wireless mesh network. This is the best option to reach all the Sonos devices reliably. Wiring additional units to the router won't hurt.
Note that you need the Boost only if wiring even any/just one Sonos device to the router is physically inconvenient.
Thanks for the reply. I understood that when you set up wired speakers to a Sonos system, you must connect the wired speakers to a connect amp to power the speakers and that the connect amp must be hard wired to your router.
Good to know that I only need one hard wired router connection to any one of the Sonos devises to make the whole house operate properly.
I only need one hard wired router connection to any one of the Sonos devises to make the whole house operate properly.
Except where the house has thick concrete/stone walls between rooms or where a room or two is away from the rest. In general, if the home can be set up to have a good Wifi environment everywhere, the above holds.
I have focused on taking advantage of Sonos being wireless but I’ve always wondered if hard wiring would sound better or give better results overall than wireless.
What do you all think?
By hard wiring I mean to my router not speaker wiring.
It won't do anything audible to a system that is playing without any drop outs or stuttering. Better results are only in terms of robust streaming and not improvement in sound quality other than those arising from that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have focused on taking advantage of Sonos being wireless but I’ve always wondered if hard wiring would sound better or give better results overall than wireless.
What do you all think?

I wire Sonos components that are near an Ethernet connection, no real need to do that as mine work well over the Sonos wifi links. No real reason for doing it other than the Ethernet port looks lonely with no cable coming out.

Now if you have wifi interference or range issues wiring up the units you can may help with that. Even adding a boost to an area where the current wifi links are weak is an option.