Answered

Multi-room setup: why would an installer use a Boost rather than ethernet?

• 14 August 2018
  • 2 replies

My parents are building a house, and I don't understand some of the choices that an installer has made (I want to be sure my folks aren't getting taken advantage of). This isn't the only example, but it's the only Sonos related one (and I'm new to Sonos).

Setup: 6 Sonos Connects in a central location, stacked right next to each other, connected to amplifiers so that speaker wire is run to different rooms in the house. There is a Boost plugged into the router to create a Sonos-only network.

Main question:
Why would a Boost make sense in this case, when they're all right next to the router and have two ethernet ports? It'd be easy to daisy chain them together with ethernet cables, and then you wouldn't have yet another wireless network.

Smaller question:
I've read elsewhere on this forum that having multiple Connects should yield multiple options for Line-In. With this setup, none of the Line-In inputs show up, even when a signal is being sent to the RCA jacks. Could the instaler have disabled them somehow?

Thank you for your help, I'm likely to end up being the first number that my folks call for tech support, so I want to make sure that I understand all this as well as possible.
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 14 August 2018, 23:14

Having the Boost there and using WiFi to talk to the Connects makes no sense to me. I'd think running Each Connect an Ethernet line from the nearest switch would make the most sense. Piggybacking a couple off the second Ethernet port of an Ethernet connected one wouldn't be my choice but is doable. All six strung in a daisy chain would be getting near the limit for that andI'd really try to avoid that.

On the line-in issue, that seems odd. Maybe plug in a line-in cable and try power cycling the Connect?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Having the Boost there and using WiFi to talk to the Connects makes no sense to me. I'd think running Each Connect an Ethernet line from the nearest switch would make the most sense. Piggybacking a couple off the second Ethernet port of an Ethernet connected one wouldn't be my choice but is doable. All six strung in a daisy chain would be getting near the limit for that andI'd really try to avoid that.

On the line-in issue, that seems odd. Maybe plug in a line-in cable and try power cycling the Connect?
Thanks for your help, Stanley. I'll try the power cycle idea. And I'll switch over the system to ethernet when I have time. I've never set up a system with multiple Sonos devices before, so I want to be sure I've got time to be around to troubleshoot. The last thing I want is to break something in the name of making it better.