Answered

"Modern" Sonos Connect?

• 24 January 2020
  • 15 replies

Badge

Is there such a thing as a “Modern” Sonos Connect?  Correct me if I’m wrong (wouldn’t be the first time or the last) but weren’t there new Connects still being sold just last year?  With the 5 year support rule, it would seem that there was an upgrade somewhere in the timeline to make the Connects modern.  If this is true, what would I look for on the label to designate a modern Connect?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 24 January 2020, 04:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

In the newest S1 app, 11.2, there are some tools to check compatibility and help with the update. If you’re still having trouble, it’d probably be best to contact our support team live and they can help look into what’s going on. 

I put the S2 update on my kit a couple of days ago, updated the app on my phone and all good.  Check Sonos system information on my phone and stats that both my Play:1 and Connect are run-ing Sonos OS: S2.  When I look at my system online it highlights my Sonos as a Gen 1.  It has a date code of 1601 which would suggest Gen 2 wouldn't it?  And by the very nature that is has updated.  It was a replacement one from Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

This same product was classified as "modern" so shouldn't it be compatible with the new app?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

When you say it won’t update to the S2 app, what exactly is happening?  What are you doing and what warning messages are you getting? Do you have any other legacy devices or are you aiming to have just an S2 system?

this is the messge 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

That’s just about right across the board. The same goes for the Connect:Amp too. I’m not certain the exact manufacturing month in 2015 where that switch over happened, but along with the internals change, the externals changed too.

Hi @Ryan S can I get some help regarding my Sonos Connect. The discussion we had in the forum, several posts said pre 2015 connect were gen 1. I have 2 connects which I got at the same time, both have same physical features with the play/pause button. When I registered it came up as "modern" device so I was under the impression they are both Gen 2. This was during the time when products were separated into modern or legacy. When the S2 app was about to be launched information on the Sonos website said majority of products will be compatible with the S2 app along with gen 2 Sonos connect. Now with the release of new app I found that one of my Connect with date 1504 which was previously showing on the system as a modern device wont update to the S2 app and I am a bit confused. I thought classifying the device as modern meant that the device should be compatible with S2 app, is it not??

Try it again, my Connect needed 3 attempts, only then the update went through.

When you say it won’t update to the S2 app, what exactly is happening?  What are you doing and what warning messages are you getting? Do you have any other legacy devices or are you aiming to have just an S2 system?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

That’s just about right across the board. The same goes for the Connect:Amp too. I’m not certain the exact manufacturing month in 2015 where that switch over happened, but along with the internals change, the externals changed too.

Hi @Ryan S can I get some help regarding my Sonos Connect. The discussion we had in the forum, several posts said pre 2015 connect were gen 1. I have 2 connects which I got at the same time, both have same physical features with the play/pause button. When I registered it came up as "modern" device so I was under the impression they are both Gen 2. This was during the time when products were separated into modern or legacy. When the S2 app was about to be launched information on the Sonos website said majority of products will be compatible with the S2 app along with gen 2 Sonos connect. Now with the release of new app I found that one of my Connect with date 1504 which was previously showing on the system as a modern device wont update to the S2 app and I am a bit confused. I thought classifying the device as modern meant that the device should be compatible with S2 app, is it not??

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have a sonos connect with the "play/pause" button, date code 1504 and it has not been classified as "legacy", hopefully not in near future.

That is good news, sounds like most of 2015 is safe if April (04) gear is modern.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I have a sonos connect with the "play/pause" button, date code 1504 and it has not been classified as "legacy", hopefully not in near future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Ryan S - could you clarify exactly how to tell if a Connect is ‘modern’ or not?

I’ve had a look around and there seem to be a few physical differences between versions:

• ZP80, blue base, mute button
  • ZP90, blue base, mute button
  • Connect, grey base, mute button
  • Connect, grey base, play/pause button (I’ve only found play/pause on 1502+ datecodes)
  • S15, grey base, play/pause button

Is the play/pause button sufficient to confirm a connect is ‘modern’? 

Do we also need to take into account the manufacturing date?

If so, can you confirm what datecode range signifies a ‘modern’ product please?

Does all the above apply to the Connect Amp too?

Badge

The Connect had a hardware change in 2015 that didn’t get mentioned, that is biting Sonos now and they aren’t planning on making that error again. Only the pre-2015 Connects are going Legacy.

Making it worse they had a few database errors flagging current Connects as Legacy, hopefully corrected now.

The serial number has the year and month as the first four digits, or maybe it was month and year.

That helps. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Connect had a hardware change in 2015 that didn’t get mentioned, that is biting Sonos now and they aren’t planning on making that error again. Only the pre-2015 Connects are going Legacy.

Making it worse they had a few database errors flagging current Connects as Legacy, hopefully corrected now.

The serial number has the year and month as the first four digits, or maybe it was month and year.

Badge

The Sonos Port is the replacement for the CONNECT. 

Yes.  Yes it is.

The Sonos Port is the replacement for the CONNECT.