Answered

Missing Rooms

• 30 December 2016
  • 10 replies

I have set up 2 rooms however I can't see them both. If I want to say see the lounge I have to switch off the speaker in the bedroom.
icon

Best answer by simolnd 30 December 2016, 20:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Sooo.... can you provide a few details? What speakers are referring to? Are they speakers connected to a connect amp, or play 1s,3s,5s, etc? 'Switch off'... doesn't sound right.... you shouldn't have to ever shut off the devices as they are meant to be constantly connected and powered wifi 'appliances'. Just a random thought to potential troubleshoot your challenge...and I know this may be streatchi g, but ...Do you have enough open IP addresses on your router?... perhaps they are both struggling to connect at the same time because they can't get unique IP addresses?
They are both play 1 devices. They both work via the wifi not via an amp. In terms of enough open IP addresses i don't think this is the issue as I have a number of other devices that connect no problem.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hmmm... I'm certainly not a setup expert... but I'm wondering... is it possible that you added them each as new systems... perhaps one was disconnected when you set up the second? I'm not certain, and I'm just hypothesizing here, if that could create a system that only knows about one speaker (itself).... and a second system that only knows about one speaker(itself)... so your controller , when it goes looking for a system, find one that only knows about one speaker....... when you unplug one, your controller conectes to the second system.... perhaps resetting one speaker back to factory, ensure your controller is connected to the remaining one and all is working properly, and then adding the reset speaker to 'an existing...' setup? Would resolve the challenge....
I think you may be right the app seems to reload when changing to a different room. My only other thought was to connect them both directly to the router to see if that resolves the issue but other than that I think factory resetting would hopefully work. I do appreciate your assistance with this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I would first try resetting one of them only.... then connect to your one system that you get operating properly. Then add in the reset device as an addition to the system.... not a new system. If that doesn't work, you may be experiencing different issues with IP addresses, or network congestion that may be resolve by setting them up wired to start.... but that doesn't sound like what is happening based on your description of the problem.....
Ok will try that tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on but I think that is the correct solution.
Hi there just to let you know I've completed the factory reset and set the 2nd speaker back up as suggested and it worked! Thanks sooooo much for your help, it is greatly appreciated!
I have a sonos play, sub, play1 and play 3. Some Moron from Talk Talk wiped all of my router settings but since I have put it back to how it was, I cannot see any of the rooms apart from the one with the play3 in it (Family Room). I have tried removing the sub and resetting up but I can only sse the family room in the list). Does anyone know how to get my list of rooms increased ?
I have a sonos play, sub, play1 and play 3. Some Moron from Talk Talk wiped all of my router settings but since I have put it back to how it was, I cannot see any of the rooms apart from the one with the play3 in it (Family Room). I have tried removing the sub and resetting up but I can only sse the family room in the list). Does anyone know how to get my list of rooms increased ?

Sounds like duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Many hanks for the advice. However, it was fortunately much more simple - I had to reset up the playbar and then the 2nd room reappeared to allow me to add the sub to the same room.