Answered

Matching speakers to Amp

• 21 February 2021
  • 3 replies

I have (2) 130 RMS Speakers & 2 150RMS Speakers both 8 ohm. I want to connect these to the Sonos Amp in parallel. Is the Amp powerful enough to handle this load? 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 February 2021, 03:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Dwilliams02382 

The Sonos User Guide says it is possible...but I’d suspect the speakers need to be identical in specs. You might contact Sonos Tech support for a definitive answer.

User Guide

I guess what I’m asking is the amp under powering the speakers? It seems not to be powerful enough and will that impact the sound? If (2) 8 ohm speakers are connected in parallel then they would become 4 ohm at the amp I believe (8ohm/2 speakers =4ohm). If the amp is good for 200w @ 4 ohm I believe the speaker would be under powered in this case (150w*2 (speakers per channel)=300w*50% (greater power then the speaker)=450w needed per channel. Please let me know if I’m not doing something correctly here but that’s what I gather.

Userlevel 7

From the Sonos Amp FAQ:

Is the 125 W/channel a peak rating or rms/continuous?

Amp provides 125W continuous average power sine wave, into an 8 Ohm load, both channels driven.

If your speakers are 130 and 150 RMS, I would think it would be best to get two Amps - one to power each pair of speakers.