Make my IPOD/iPhone/Android a Sonoszone

• 4 January 2009
  • 67 replies

Show first post

67 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Yes, it probably would be a Sonos product, but software! I'd even be willing to pay. I don't expect freebies, as Sonos have done with the Controller apps. After all, the company has to make a buck or three.

Although my wife has an iPod touch, and it is set up and works fine as a Sonos Controller, I have to admit to little experience with it. Maybe I should get one (in the plan) and play with it first before I spout off! Slapped wrists.

By referring to Twonky, Allshare etc you make my point in that I have no real desire to have to learn about yet more software to be able to listen outside. I just think Sonos needs to evolve to the point where it can all be done by the Sonos product range itself, hardware or software.

Re wireless headphones -->ZP120, yes, now that I think about it, I may still have a set of Sony FM Headphones up in the attic somewhere. So might try this out. I never cared much for them when I used to plug them direct into my HK amp, seem to remember artifacts arising from the FM side of things. The audio was never "clean".

Anyway, now that I have a comfortable pair of Bose QC3 Noise-Cancelling ones, I'd like for the Sonos system to allow me to make more use of them.
As far as I know no other device can play flac files gaples just from any SMB share.

No smartphone app out there either for that purpose, neither iPod nor Android.

I will buy the first product that does give me that opportunity, hardware or software.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and such a device/software does exist!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
As far as I know no other device can play flac files gapless just from any SMB share.

Thomas, given than I intend to digitize my CDs as FLAC files when I finally get round to re-building my former Imerge Library for Sonos use, I have to admit that I had not really considered the file format as an issue! If, as you say, no product to date can handle this, and no-one has contradicted you so far, then maybe there really is a niche for Sonos to plug after all?

Having committed to Sonos, I just want this excellent system to evolve to meet my needs and those of others, to overcome its inherent limitations, but most importantly to do it without resorting to lots of 3rd party bits and pieces.

The possible exception is the digitizing software itself, where excellent options eg dBpoweramp, already exist. But wouldn't it be cool if this could also be integrated into the Desktop Controller, together with decent playlist management?

A one-stop shop for music library prep and control if you like ! Only the PC/Mac Desktop Controllers would need such features, because no-one (in my view) would want to use a CR100/CR200 touchscreen for this screen intensive work.
BigN,

well, very ambitious, to say the least;-)
And certainly taking this thread too far.

Thomas
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

well, very ambitious, to say the least;-)

Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition, Thomas! LOL. If you don't ask, you don't get... and anyway it's always nice to have a dream.
Userlevel 2
I would very much like this capability. And before any get high & mighty about the quality of output of music through an iPhone and other wonderful technical solutions which will require me to spend huge amounts of money, time and thought this is not the fundamental of my use of Sonos.

I have over 35,000 Classical music tracks and about 25,000 contemporary music tracks. Sonos opened my music to me in a way that my CD collection never did. My classical music is directly indexed and managed by Sonos and my contemporary music is handled by Twonky on a QNAP NAS which is input into Sonos by a Philips Streamium through the line-in of one of my Zone Players. The entire music collection is managed by Helium 7 Music Manager.

The music is held in two different sources as I refuse to compromise my ability to include reasonable descriptors in the track title.

For me quality is not that critical as I wear hearing aides and currently play iTunes through an iCom which bluetooths direct to my hearing aides. This means that I can live in my own world with my music wandering around the house & garden with a smile and no interruption to others. It also means that I do not have to have the volume on the Sonos tuned up to a level which results in distortion for others.

But it means that my music selection is now restricted as a 32Gb iPhone is insufficient for my full array of music.

So Sonos, 10 years ago when I bought my first system you freed me from the constraints of my CD collection by provision a simple, expensive but elegant solution so can you please free me from the constraints of my hearing loss!!!
Userlevel 2
+1 for integrating the iPhone/Apple/Android device to be a zone.

I understand that the hardware isn't meant for time sync'ed audio, etc, but that's not why I want it.
When I first voted for that feature I forgot to mention:
Of course I am willing to pay for it!

And maybe a mod could rename this thread?
Make my iPod or Android device an (out of sync, I don't care) Sonoszone.
I agree with Thomas, same goes for the Desktop controller software. Non-sonos players are non-groupable, simple as that. Make it an option to show as a Zone or not. After all the apps are free so take it as it is or don't use it.

Sonos is also following what Apple is doing, so I think(or hope) we will see features as discussed.

IMO Sonos is an outstanding product in what it does right now, however to keep selling to new customers it will have to be more integrated.
The argument that Sonos is a premium product is only half-valid, because the S5 and S5 show that Sonos wants to get into the lower end of the scale.
Since Sonos didn't include a headphone jack on their smallest device:

Why not create an app which makes your Android or iOS device a standalone player?

Make it out of sync, make it 50 currency units of your choice, I don't care, but give us some portable player with headphones.

Please.
Personally, I'm not into portable music. While I have an iTouch, I'm investigating it for control applications, not music. I loaded a few tracks on to the thing, simply for the experience, the earbuds are still packed in the box.

If one simply wants to play music that is stored on an iPhone or iTouch, the SONOS WirelessDock is slick. True, the iDevice is docked, not in your pocket.

Same for my Android, it is a phone and a PDA, not a music player.

On both units, battery charge performance on WiFi is poor. Unless the device is tethered with a charger, the listening session would be relatively short.

I have not tried it, but there is a DNLA player on the Android. If the goal is to play music from one's library on an Android, enable a DNLA server for your music library, then play. True, there will be yet another user interface to deal with.

Bottom line: From my point of view, both devices are capable of playing music straight out of the box. The major advantage of a SONOS brand native player would be elimination of the sync step between the various music libraries and devices. A minor benefit might be some common user interface elements. All of this would come at the expense of poor battery charge performance.
No Android nor iOS app delivers (1) gapless streaming of (2) flac and mp3 files from (3) a simple SMB share like Sonos does.

So far there is also no other hardware player to fill that gap.
Userlevel 2
Hi,
think about the possibilities if we could use our phones as player, not only as controller. We could use android with headphones with all the great features provided by Sonos running around in the house without disturbing our children doing their homework or in the garden without disturbing our neighbors.
Thanks for considering this!
Userlevel 2
Reasons for having an iphone as zoneplayer:
I like the Sonos interface better than the ipod interface. Especially when you have long album or track name: ipod cuts off the end of the title, where sonos scrolls them when they do not fit the screen.

Cache
To make it complete this mobile zone player should be able to cache a playlist, so it could be really mobile (when out of reach of the wifi).
Then I would not have to update the itunes library when adding some albums (Sonos does this overnight....)

I understand that this cannot be a free app, but I would pay serious money for this!!
Userlevel 2
My main music collection is on my PC. I'd like to stream it and my other services to my Android smartphone when in range of the home network that the Sonos system uses. It would seem this ought to be technically straightforward since the controller app already is on the network. I suggest either making a separate Sonos Player:Android/iPhone app or incorporating that functionality into the controller app.

In particular I'd like this because my wife would like to listen in bed (she's physically disabled and thus awake often at night at the moment) without waking me up. Using a smartphone with earbuds is by far the best way to do so.
Userlevel 2
Ok, newbie on the forum...not new to Sonos.

It dawned on me this evening as I was mowing my lawn...why not add our phones as actual Sonos speakers/devices?! My wife was jamming out to a station I love and I can't hear anything on my Sonos patio speaker as the mower is naturally louder. I can listen via headphones to music obviously but just figured why not add our existing smart phones that are already Sonos controllers into speakers as well?

Sonos, it seems an easy operation/integration into the app. Can we do this?

I'm familiar and love my music apps but it would be nice to listen to what's thumping out of my Sonos configuration inside/outside the home.

Thoughts?!
Userlevel 1
Ok, newbie on the forum...not new to Sonos.

It dawned on me this evening as I was mowing my lawn...why not add our phones as actual Sonos speakers/devices?! My wife was jamming out to a station I love and I can't hear anything on my Sonos patio speaker as the mower is naturally louder. I can listen via headphones to music obviously but just figured why not add our existing smart phones that are already Sonos controllers into speakers as well?

Sonos, it seems an easy operation/integration into the app. Can we do this?

I'm familiar and love my music apps but it would be nice to listen to what's thumping out of my Sonos configuration inside/outside the home.

Thoughts?!

It might seem easy, but I'd bet it isn't, Sonos have repeatedly said that getting the perfect synchronization in a software player is too difficult. Of course the business reason is that they're not going to give away a zone for nothing. You want to use headphones but there's nothing to stop someone plugging their phone into a pair of active speakers and creating a free zone and that's never going to be on Sonos' business plan...