Make my IPOD/iPhone/Android a Sonoszone

• 4 January 2009
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 2
Any apps out there to make an IPOD into more than just a controller. If the sonos system could see the IPOD as an additional zone you could listen through headphones on the IPOD.

67 replies

I don't think I've seen this suggestion before. I have put it in the Sound Ideas forum, that's where Sonos looks for new ideas.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have 3 iPods, I can listen through headphones on all of them.
So you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for a multi-room audio system just so you can listen through headphones? Can't say I get the benefit.
Userlevel 2
Any apps out there to make an IPOD into more than just a controller. If the sonos system could see the IPOD as an additional zone you could listen through headphones on the IPOD.
A highly peculiar idea 🙂 But at least you have original thought.
It would have some benefits... you could use any docking station you want, have a controller and a zone in one piece of kit, and you have a mobile zone.
But if all you want to do is listen to the same MP3 archive with you iPod as you do with you zoneplayers, just use your iPod's wifi connection to playback from the same NAS.
No iPod will sound as good as a zoneplayer, no matter what docking station is used. Moreover, for stability, zoneplayers are in their own -protected- wireless network (SonosNet, wasn't it?) and that's where your iPod will never be. So all you get is a player with inferior hardware and playback quality, where party mode and other network dependent features are unreliable.
Userlevel 2
Nothing peculiar at all. Traditionally, you would hook up (high-end) headphones to your amplifier, with a Sonos system you can extend this concept by making your ipod/iphone a mobile zone. It is the perfect equivalent of a wireless headset.

The reasons why one would enjoy music once and a while through a headset are easy to explain both for audiophiles and others alike.

There is no fundemental restriction in the quality (depends on the headset you hook up to your iphone).
I can appreciate why people would like this. In reality it wouldn't necessarily need to be a Sonos product. Any media manager which could access network shared files would probably do the trick.

For instance, I have, on occasion, used my PSP to listen to music from my library via my PS3. The setup is a slightly convoluted one, but it works.

My music is on a NAS which is also a UPnP media server. My PS3 sees this and can pick up the music from it. I can then "Remote Play" from my PSP into the PS3 and use this to play music.

It's not often I use it, but it is occasionally useful.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Nothing peculiar at all. Traditionally, you would hook up (high-end) headphones to your amplifier

I guess I'm just non-traditional, probably an age barrier thing.

The Walkman was invented before I became traditional and I wouldn't really think of connecting headphones to anything but a portable player.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I think some people (not me, but some...) have only a subset of their entire collections stored on their iPods for varying reasons (space usually being the biggest reason) so I could definitely see the benefit of using an iPod as a Zone so that you could basically navigate your Sonos library (which again could be different than your iPod library) and play it back THROUGH the iPod and then output it to your headphones.

Having young kids (5 and 3) I can also see a huge benefit here. It would allow me to do some of my late night listening from the comforts of my couch with my iPod for easy navigation and playback all in one.

And I hesitate to even say this but it really IS starting to bug me how certain people on this forum constantly shoot down everyone else's ideas just b/c they find no personal use for the suggested feature. You really should learn to listen to people's suggestions and do some out of the box thinking instead of simply assuming everyone else around you is a moron with stupid ideas. If they thought it was important enough to bring to the forum then it's probably not a stupid idea. I'm fully comfortable with healthy debate - in fact I think it's great but it just really annoys me when you fail to even consider their point before shooting it down.

End of rant. 😃

And I hesitate to even say this but it really IS starting to bug me how certain people on this forum constantly shoot down everyone else's ideas just b/c they find no personal use for the suggested feature. You really should learn to listen to people's suggestions and do some out of the box thinking instead of simply assuming everyone else around you is a moron with stupid ideas. If they thought it was important enough to bring to the forum then it's probably not a stupid idea. I'm fully comfortable with healthy debate - in fact I think it's great but it just really annoys me when you fail to even consider their point before shooting it down.

End of rant. :D

The way I see it, if you put something up on a forum, you put it up for discussion. You run the risk that people think it is not a good idea. If you can't bear that, maybe an email to Sonos is a better way to express a wish.

As long as people keep their proper manners up on this forum, they are free to discuss for or against proposals. Namecalling or personal attacks shouldn't be part of the Sonos forums though.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I think some people (not me, but some...) have only a subset of their entire collections stored on their iPods for varying reasons (space usually being the biggest reason) so I could definitely see the benefit of using an iPod as a Zone so that you could basically navigate your Sonos library (which again could be different than your iPod library) and play it back THROUGH the iPod and then output it to your headphones.

Having young kids (5 and 3) I can also see a huge benefit here. It would allow me to do some of my late night listening from the comforts of my couch with my iPod for easy navigation and playback all in one.

The only iPod on which this function could really be an option is the iPod Touch or iPhone - it's the only one that has an open development platform and will run 3rd party software.

I don't know whether you own an iPod Touch and how often you use it, but the battery life isn't all that good. Running local applications it could be more practical but when using applications that have heavy network traffic it's failry useless. Web browsing is far from heavy traffic, it only bursts as you load pages, but this exhausts a full battery in no time at all.

Substitute that for a constant music playback stream, an audio decoder and a headphone amp and you might get what? An hour's playback?

Not really a solution in my eyes. A nice proof of concept but, in practice, far more practical to just sync my desired music to the iPod and play it as normal.
I

I fail to understand how someone could know exactly how much time I have spent considering a point before I comment about it on these forums.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The only iPod on which this function could really be an option is the iPod Touch or iPhone - it's the only one that has an open development platform and will run 3rd party software.

I don't know whether you own an iPod Touch and how often you use it, but the battery life isn't all that good. Running local applications it could be more practical but when using applications that have heavy network traffic it's failry useless. Web browsing is far from heavy traffic, it only bursts as you load pages, but this exhausts a full battery in no time at all.

Substitute that for a constant music playback stream, an audio decoder and a headphone amp and you might get what? An hour's playback?

Not really a solution in my eyes. A nice proof of concept but, in practice, far more practical to just sync my desired music to the iPod and play it as normal.

Good point on the iPod Touch. You're right about it being the only real contender for using as a Zone.

And before the last firmware update I'd agree with you on battery life but now I'm getting very suitable batter life out of my iPod Touch (and I use it every day). I use it at home for web browsing and for controlling my Sonos in m living room and the battery life is suitable for me. However, I do plug it into a charging dock when not in use so I pretty much keep it charged constantly.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The way I see it, if you put something up on a forum, you put it up for discussion. You run the risk that people think it is not a good idea. If you can't bear that, maybe an email to Sonos is a better way to express a wish.

As long as people keep their proper manners up on this forum, they are free to discuss for or against proposals. Namecalling or personal attacks shouldn't be part of the Sonos forums though.

I don't disagree and I wasn't talking about namecalling or personal attacks nor was a making a personal attack.

I just think that there are a select few on these forums that constantly reply to posts in a very negative context that isn't overly conducive to an open discussion. Not a huge deal, that's why I ended the post with a 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I fail to understand how someone could know exactly how much time I have spent considering a point before I comment about it on these forums.

And I fail to understand why you would assume I was directing my post to you.

But at any rate I think several reasons have been supplied for rationalizing the use of headphones on a Sonos system.
And I fail to understand why you would assume I was directing my post to you.

But at any rate I think several reasons have been supplied for rationalizing the use of headphones on a Sonos system.

I figured the post was directed at everyone, considering you didn't address anyone in particular, nor did you reply to a quote. Besides, I was simply pointing out that assuming someone who disagrees with you has not spent any time thinking about the idea is at least as bad as me assuming the person who originally posted the idea is a moron.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
it just really annoys me when you fail to even consider their point before shooting it down.

In reality, a lot of us have been on here for many years now and it's exceedingly rare that a genuinely new idea comes along; most of them are just reworks of old ideas and it doesn't take us long to bring our thought together in a response.

The newer members may get excitement with "wow, that a great new idea" but to many of us it's a "ah, that one again" scenario.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Besides, I was simply pointing out that assuming someone who disagrees with you has not spent any time thinking about the idea is at least as bad as me assuming the person who originally posted the idea is a moron.

Touche! 😃 Good point.
I like this idea a lot. I have an iPod Touch, and would love to see it as a zone, or be able to get to my collection with it to stream. Sometimes the family is watching TV and I would prefer to pop the earbuds in, but to grab some album selections I think I want, only to change my mind after I'm seated, having everything at my fingertips, including the radio stuff would be incredible.

But if all you want to do is listen to the same MP3 archive with you iPod as you do with you zoneplayers, just use your iPod's wifi connection to playback from the same NAS.

Exactly how do you do that? That would be a phenomenal start...
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
In reality, a lot of us have been on here for many years now and it's exceedingly rare that a genuinely new idea comes along; most of them are just reworks of old ideas and it doesn't take us long to bring our thought together in a response.

The newer members may get excitement with "wow, that a great new idea" but to many of us it's a "ah, that one again" scenario.

And I understand that point as I see the same thing too (here and in other forums). I just usually choose not to reply or to point them to the other post where the topic has already been discussed.

Do what you want - I'm just saying that lots of forum threads here seem to take a negative tone based on flippant responses from the same set of posters here and those responses put new posters on edge and then we end up in non value-added bantering (like this).
Userlevel 2
Hi Hansfl,

Nothing peculiar at all. Traditionally, you would hook up (high-end) headphones to your amplifier, with a Sonos system you can extend this concept by making your ipod/iphone a mobile zone. It is the perfect equivalent of a wireless headset.

I don't see why you need a mobile zone for that purpose. A wifi connection to the same media archive does the same trick. If you need a wireless headset, then buy a wireless headset ;)

The reasons why one would enjoy music once and a while through a headset are easy to explain both for audiophiles and others alike.

Oh yes, a capable headset of the likes of AKG or Sennheiser can do the trick nicely.

There is no fundemental restriction in the quality (depends on the headset you hook up to your iphone).

And that's where you're wrong. An iPod or any other portable player can never sound as good as a zoneplayer, no matter what headphone you plug in. In my opinion it is a waste of money to connect 250 euro's worth of headphones to your iPod. The only things that are better audible are the D/A artifacts. 🙂
Though from all portable players, the iPod Classic sounds the best!
A wifi connection to the same media archive does the same trick.

Can you please explain how this is done with an iPod Touch?
Userlevel 2

And that's where you're wrong. An iPod or any other portable player can never sound as good as a zoneplayer, no matter what headphone you plug in. In my opinion it is a waste of money to connect 250 euro's worth of headphones to your iPod. The only things that are better audible are the D/A artifacts. 🙂
Though from all portable players, the iPod Classic sounds the best!

You're right here (the DAC will be the bottleneck). However, I would like the same control device (be it CR100 or iphone) to select what I'm listening too through a headset.

Better solution would even to have a wireless headset controlled through your iphone/CR100. For younger people, regular buds will do and then the suggested streaming to iphone works perfectly fine. Allows me to sleep, while others are still listening to music and vice versa.

I do agree that there are alternative solutions but the control application on the iphone is so nice that extending it with a rendering ability would be a straightforward but highly appreciated feature.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
So, just to clarify, you want a device that allows you to listen to music through earphones, without a tethered connection, and that you can control from an iPod?

Apple make one... 😃
Funny how the guys with the big mouths, er, uh, keyboards, who know it all and shoot down everyone else's thoughts, and know how to do it, suddenly have nothing to say when asked how to do it.

You wrote it TWICE in this thread, Kork... And twice I asked you while you were still online. So clue us in on how to use our iPod Touches to access our NAS. And WITHOUT Jailbreaking it, please.

You wrote it TWICE in this thread, Kork... And twice I asked you while you were still online. So clue us in on how to use our iPod Touches to access our NAS. And WITHOUT Jailbreaking it, please.

If your NAS has a uPnP media server, you can use Plugplayer from the app store to stream media off it. Wunderradio offers the same radio functionality that Sonos has, as it uses the same service provider. Last.fm is also available via a free app from the app store. So an iTouch can do a lot of things that Sonos does.