Line-In source level on Sonos Port

• 7 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone 

looking for a bit of advice regarding the Line-In source level.

iv’e recently purchased a project esprit turntable which I’ve linked to a Sonos Port.

I play it through two paired Sonos 3 speakers.

my question is what would you recommend I set the source level to ?

I had it at 8 and found it quite distorted.I’m currently playing it at level four but noticed there’s a big difference in sound ?

any advice would be much appreciated.

steven

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

I have a Sony turntable and I have it set to level 5.

I have a Sony turntable and I have it set to level 5.

Thank you for the response.

i’d imagine it’s just a case of setting it to a level that you are happy with the sound 🤷🏼‍♂️

The answer is to use the highest level which doesn’t distort. Too low a level could degrade the signal-to-noise ratio. Wind up the level until distortion sets in, then back it off one notch.

The answer is to use the highest level which doesn’t distort. Too low a level could degrade the signal-to-noise ratio. Wind up the level until distortion sets in, then back it off one notch.

Thanks much appreciated.

I have all my Line In set to 10 and I get no distortion. Of course that may well be because I then don't need to run the downstream Sonos kit at full volumes, but my feeling is that even at level 10, the output signal voltages are not more than those put out by a typical CD player.

If you are getting distortion, make sure that the source isn't the culprit.