Line in not showing up

• 25 December 2018
  • 9 replies

I purchased an audio technica turntable and have tried to connect the audio in to my Sonos connect. I’ve read that I should be able to plug in to the audio in and the “line in” will show in my app under browse. But nothing is showing up...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

You may need to put a pre-amp between the two devices, the CONNECT is looking for a line level, not phono level input. Make sure you have the RCA jacks plugged In to Audio In, and not the Audio Out on the CONNECT.
i had this problem on the Sonos Connect but for me it just disappeared one day after months of working fine. after 2 days of pulling my hair out about it, i just removed the RCA jack and plugged them back in and it started seeing the input again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
i had this problem on the Sonos Connect but for me it just disappeared one day after months of working fine. after 2 days of pulling my hair out about it, i just removed the RCA jack and plugged them back in and it started seeing the input again.
Glad you got that sorted out! If this keeps happening, you may need to replace the cable or clean the port.
thanks for the reply Ryan. the cables are about 2 months old and are higher end quality so i'm guess its not them. when you say 'clean the port' what exactly are you referring to?
thanks for the reply Ryan. the cables are about 2 months old and are higher end quality so i'm guess its not them. when you say 'clean the port' what exactly are you referring to?

Oxidation on the contacts sometimes causes a bad connection. You can clean these using deoxideizers like Deoxit, or just use plain vinegar on a cotton swab.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

thanks for the reply Ryan. the cables are about 2 months old and are higher end quality so i'm guess its not them. when you say 'clean the port' what exactly are you referring to?Oxidation on the contacts sometimes causes a bad connection. You can clean these using deoxideizers like Deoxit, or just use plain vinegar on a cotton swab.

At 2 months old, this shouldn't be the issue, but you never know... A long time in technical support has taught me never to trust a cable, unless I've tried three with the same results. They often are the first point of failure.
I've sometimes just rotated the RCA plug a couple of times to see if that allows it to make contact. But I'm with Ryan, I've had too many cases over the years where it's been the cable. I've got extras lying around in drawers, just in case I need to do some testing of them.
Line-In includes a switch that detects the presence of an RCA plug. If the plug is not fully inserted, CONNECT might not sense its presence. I've also encountered RCA plugs with a shorter than normal pin -- resulting in intermittent detection.

While I've never had issues with SONOS Line-In, I don't trust those plug detection switches. I've had issues with these switches in other equipment. Removing and re-inserting the plug might break through some oxidation on the switch contacts.

If the Line-In disappears from the controller options, there is an issue with plug detection. If the plug is detected, but there is no sound, then I suspect cable issues, but it is a little too much of a coincidence that both cable channels would drop at exactly the same instant.

thanks for the reply Ryan. the cables are about 2 months old and are higher end quality so i'm guess its not them. when you say 'clean the port' what exactly are you referring to?Oxidation on the contacts sometimes causes a bad connection. You can clean these using deoxideizers like Deoxit, or just use plain vinegar on a cotton swab.

Amazingly, this is all it took to fix connections that were written off as dead (Sonos wasn't able to assist with this). Thanks for the tip!