Limiting Volume for a Zone (using Impedance Matching Volume Controller)

• 6 August 2015
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey all,

So, I am trying to do something relatively simple here. I want to put a "max" volume limit on a particular zone. I have an outdoor setup and I'd like to be mindful of my surroundings. It's about 2000 square feet of space and I have 6 speakers out there connected to two zones. I used an outdoor volume dial (can't find the link at the moment) for a while and it worked wonderfully.

So I wanted to upgrade to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XUM9OAM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
All the speakers are from htd: http://www.htd.com/Products/Outdoor-Speakers/Q65-Outdoor-Speakers
It is connected to an CONNECT:AMP

CONNECT:AMP --------> VOLUME DIALS ----------> Speaker Pair A, B, C.

By driving an input on the "A" input and setting the volume controls down WAY low (literally one "click" up from off), I figured, I could leave the software/zone at "max" volume while then using the dials on the volume controller to effectively limit the max volume for the speakers.

The problem is, even at the lowest setting of the volume control, it is still incredibly loud.

Did I order the wrong thing?

Sonos: You could solve this by allowing us to have a MAX volume setting per zone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

chowanec,

From the description of the product that you referenced, I don't know exactly what they are doing inside. Your speakers offer average efficiency.

This product will probably do a better job, but I can't know from here if the range of the control is sufficient for your purpose. The advantage of this box is that you can set the impedance matching (called " Impedance Magnification" for this product) for the maximum number of speakers. A side effect of this setting is effectively another couple of "clicks" on the volume adjustment.
Your idea certainly appears correct on paper; that's exactly what I'd do in this situation.

Are you sure it's hooked up correctly? The speaker wires -- input and output -- connect 'vertically' (that is, the red is above its corresponding black terminal as opposed to the Connect:Amp, where they're side by side).
Userlevel 2
Badge
More simply put, how can I enforce a maximum volume to a zone? If it is an inline volume control, I'll do that, but I can't have people coming over and jacking the volume up past some acceptable level.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Your idea certainly appears correct on paper; that's exactly what I'd do in this situation.

Are you sure it's hooked up correctly? The speaker wires -- input and output -- connect 'vertically' (that is, the red is above its corresponding black terminal as opposed to the Connect:Amp, where they're side by side).

Yeah, I double checked that. Someone at AVSForums suggested the switchbox has a 100w amp in it, but I don't see how that is possible given there is no power to the actual switch box, it's passive.