Question

Left/Right Channels Reversed

• 12 December 2016
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have my new PlayBar positioned as shown in the attached image. But if I play an audio test the right and left sides are reversed!

I tried rebooting the PlayBar, and I set diagnostic #6859890 from the app. How can I fix this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Turn your TV around?

Just kidding. What is the source of the audio sound test? What device is it playing from, and how is it traveling to the soundbar?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Turn your TV around?

Just kidding. What is the source of the audio sound test? What device is it playing from, and how is it traveling to the soundbar?

Haha. Multible Youtube videos playing on my Chromecast connected to TV's HDMI input. Soundbar is connected to TV's Optical Out. Maybe the soundbar thinks it's sitting the other way? Isn't there a way to invert it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
or the youtube/chromecast is reversing.

Have you tried other sources like direct from TV/cable/etc.
Userlevel 2
Badge
or the youtube/chromecast is reversing.

Have you tried other sources like direct from TV/cable/etc.

It's hard to tell because I can't really play test sounds from the cable input. I can try from my HDMI connected laptop tomorrow though.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have confirmed the issue is with the sound bar. I connected my laptop directly, issue was still present. I even bought an HDMI/Optical audio splitter and connected the sound bar to that. Issue persists.

I emailed Sonos, and they finally replied telling me to call them, but their wait time is over an hour!

I bought a $650 sound bar, and it's unacceptable that it's directionally challenged. As much as I hate to, I may have to return it along with the other $1100 of Sonos equipment that I bought.
Fascinating. I've got 2 playbars, and don't have this issue. How strange!
It sounds like the PLAYBAR's accelerometer could be confused. It may think it's been wall-mounted below a TV, as that will reverse the channels.

I suggest you factory reset the PLAYBAR, though note that if it's the only player in the system you will lose all Sonos playlists, account settings and so forth. By the sound of things there is other Sonos equipment, so as long as you reset only the PLAYBAR you'll be fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like he has some other Sonos units.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Will try. The other units are not setup yet. Should I setup one before resetting the playbar?
The other units are not setup yet. Should I setup one before resetting the playbar?
Yes. Then it will preserve any settings, and you won't have to go through re-registration of the system.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just tried factory reseting it 3 times. I tried on a flat level surface, and I tried putting it the wrong orientation on purpose. No changes. 😞 I guess it's defective?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I just tried factory reseting it 3 times. I tried on a flat level surface, and I tried putting it the wrong orientation on purpose. No changes. 😞 I guess it's defective?

If you place the unit in the vertical orientation does it still sound flipped? Also, have you tried configuring Trueplay if you have an iOS device that is capable of doing it?

In either case, it's definitely something that you'll want to talk to our team live about. I know the wait times can be a bit long right now sometimes, it's just that time of the year and with the update, it's been extra busy. The team is answering every call as quickly as possible.
Badge
I have my new PlayBar positioned as shown in the attached image. But if I play an audio test the right and left sides are reversed!

I tried rebooting the PlayBar, and I set diagnostic #6859890 from the app. How can I fix this?
what audio did you use to test the Playbar. I now want to test mine