Keep Home Theater and Sonos apart?

• 26 March 2006
  • 59 replies

Show first post

59 replies

johnnyenglish-

I can understand you wanted to listen to all speakers at once. The delay has been discussed before so you might find your answer with a quick search. I think, though, you may be at the end of the line and not be able to correct this time delay.

I borrowed a high current amp to see what benefits this may have with my VERY inefficient Totem Mani-2 monitors. I went straight from Sonos to amplifier (no preamp). The soundstage opened up across the entire room. I've got to find a way to afford my dream amplifier, the Sim Audio W-5!

To each his own!
New problem.

My Denon receiver is now going into
*protection*
mode very sporadically. Most often when turning on or switching sources within the receiver.

I have Sonos into amp into Niles switch to shared speakers. I have Denon going to Niles switch to shared speakers.

I've made sure all connections are clean. I wonder if it's my 4 ohm load speakers sending the amp into protection now that I no longer have them bi-amped from the Denon, only connected by one pair of speaker connections?

If it were the Niles switch, I would think it would also happen when just playing music through Sonos. Thoughts?
RickInHouston,

Bi-amp? are you sure?

While anything is posible, I'm not aware of any home theater receivers that provide for bi-amplifying the main or surround speakers. Typically, you can use the main "A" and "B" main speaker outputs as a bi-wire convenience connection, but "A" and "B" are internally connected to the main (front) amplifier.

What connections have you recently changed?

Can you switch your Denon to operate lower impedance speakers? (use the lowest setting)

Are you using any impedance matching volume controls or speaker switch boxes?

Just to keep everyone on their toes, you receiver could be failing. Are there any "thumps" or "pops" that have recently started?

If you have a DC voltmeter, measure the "DC offsets" of the amplifiers. (ideally, the no signal DC output should be zero) Normally, the offsets should be in the 0.0x range. If any are greater than 0.1V, have the unit checked. I usually measure offsets with no speakers connected, but since that is a lot of work with a home theater system, you can start by measuring with speakers connected. If any channels measure greater than 0.02 Volts, disconnect the speakers for that channel and measure again.

If you don't have a voltmeter, disconnect, then reconnect each speaker and listen for a loud "pop". The pop indicates that an offset voltage is present. (there will almost always be some small pops because the offset voltage will rarely be zero)

Is the shutdown, or not, related to the volume control setting?
Buzz-

thanks for the response.

Denon AVR-5600 manual states bi-wiring is possible with this unit. It states, "You can achieve higher quiality sound by adding cords and using bi-wiring, as shown on the diagram below." It does go on to say, "By connecting speaker systems to both the speaker A and B terminals, you can play the same music source simultaneously in different rooms. (Use speakers with impedances of 16 ohms)."

I've been going over in my head what I had done when I started noticing the problem.

Had receiver bi-wired. Worked flawlessly for years this way. Connected speakers to ZP100 to see how they handled driving my main speakers. Since it seemed fine, I then connected Niles speaker swith to the mix. Now it seems to be happening. I did remove subwoofer connection from the Niles switch.

Sonos>Yamaha amp>Niles switch>speakrs

Denin>Niles switch>speakers (sub directly from Denon to sub). I don't think this would matter.

No speaker vol controls or extra speakers added to the mix. Denon has no impedence switch for particular speakers.

I guess what I have running through the back of my mind is that maybe, just maybe the receiver is failing. Just don't know what to look for (or hear) when this happens.

I have been getting errant thumps/pops out of rear speakers (not very often) that sometimes corresponds with the fault protection warning. I haven't changed those speaker connections lately, though. What could this mean? Wire short? Amplifier failing?

Will put receiver on 'stereo' and not send any info to back speakers for awhile and see if this helps diagnose the problem.

Thanks Buzz for you help.

I have been getting errant thumps/pops out of rear speakers (not very often) that sometimes corresponds with the fault protection warning. I haven't changed those speaker connections lately, though. What could this mean? Wire short? Amplifier failing?

That could be the smoking gun. (or future "smoking" receiver)

The note about 16-Ohm speakers indicates that at least some of the channels, might not like 4-Ohm speakers. (this is a tricky issue because many receivers are fine with 4 Ohm speakers, even with the note. Due to the testing methods used by laboratories, costs go up if you want your design tested at 4-Ohms and 8-Ohms, manufacturers often rate the unit at 8-Ohms only -- hence the legally protective warning in the user manual.)

Regardless of you previous care, it pays to check your wires and connections again (been there, done that -- surprise -- how could I do that~?!!) Wires can become crushed or frayed, pets or rodents can chew things, or a neatness move can result in a wire staple cutting into the wire.
Userlevel 2
I am planning to purchase a HT receiver and speakers and would like the system to work with my Sonos in the manner described in this forum (i.e. auto sensing using two satellites and the subwoofer).

Is there a receiver that has the auto sensing switch feature built in, preferably something with HDMI in and out also. I will have an SA 8300DVR and a DVD going in via HDMI and an out to TV/monitor via HDMI? I prefer the auto sensing switch for ease of family use rather than switching inputs on the receiver.

Thank you.

Is there a receiver that has the auto sensing switch feature built in,

I'm not aware of any. Mostly, the manufacturers couldn't imagine that their box can't do everything.

HDMI is a mess at the moment. The DRM people have the hardware and the content locked up so tightly that you may not be able to play anything through the HDMI and there are some annoying little tricks such as turning off the analog sound output if the HDMI is in use.

If you are running hidden wires, run both HDMI and component video.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
if that is what you were looking for
Userlevel 2
Sorry, my previous post was a little confusing.

I was wondering if there is a receiver that has an auto sensing switch with similar features to the Sonance and Niles switches described in this thread -- something that would allow the audio switching between the Sonos and audio out from the receiver.

If such a receiver as described above exists, I was wondering if it also has HDMI ins and outs to handle my cable TV box and TV.

As I am writing this and thinking in more detail about Buzz' response, I realize that I would need to be switching between HDMI audio of the receiver and the analog audio of the Sonos, which doesn't sound like a place I want to go.

May just stick with separate systems for now.

Thank you for the feedback.