"Jukebox" Mode

I have a number of clients that have installed Sonos in their bars/restaurants. A lot of them wanted us to recess an iPad into a wall (using Sonance mounts) and use the Rhapsody service exactly like a jukebox.

The only issue is that the customers would constantly override the existing song by selecting "Play Now". Would you consider adding a "jukebox" setting that would only allow the user to "Add to Queue"?

The "Play Now" feature is also an issue at my house when there is a party. Most people do not have the patience to listen to a song picked by another individual. I would love to be able to lock down this behaviour.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

I have a number of clients that have installed Sonos in their bars/restaurants. A lot of them wanted us to recess an iPad into a wall (using Sonance mounts) and use the Rhapsody service exactly like a jukebox.

The only issue is that the customers would constantly override the existing song by selecting "Play Now". Would you consider adding a "jukebox" setting that would only allow the user to "Add to Queue"?

The "Play Now" feature is also an issue at my house when there is a party. Most people do not have the patience to listen to a song picked by another individual. I would love to be able to lock down this behaviour.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since they are using a single service. I would recommend the sonospad application. You can set it to not allow overrides and act more like a jukebox. The negative I have with it is it doesn't utilize Sonos universal search. But if your just using rhapsody they may like it a lot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But yes. We desperately need a jukebox mode especially now with the new one click methodology.
Seems as if the JUKEBOX issue is over 5 years old now with no respect of the Community's suggestions to add. Just used my new Play5 in our kitchen party and quickly found the need to access a JukeBox function. Everyone wants to play DJ and although the Que function is great, it has limited features. I agree with one Community member that there should be an Admin oversight, and the ability to move songs around in the Que or delete them altogether. I found myself competing with my wife and her friend in a friendly DJ competition, which never ended; especially, with a few more drinks added. Very surprised this doesn't exist and looking through this forum, it appears as if I'm not alone. Sonos, either respect the suggestions of your Community in adding the feature, or update us on why this essential function is being ignored!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has a long standing policy of not allowing user customizable options. They want the Sonos experience to be the same no matter where a user experiences it. Early on this may have been a good policy but the market today dictates a much higher level of personalization. I believe it is now detrimental to Sonos future in staying so Ridgid to this policy. Especially as you certainky have two camps now when it comes to the controller experience. The one button play people and the queue using people who want the queue protected over all else. So far Sonos has still held fast to not catering to both groups and this past year switched from queue centered to one touch centered alienating a large group in that process. Hopefully at some point they will add a jukebox type protection mode that can better cater to the older queue group. No indications yet they are.
You know, I'm as vocal a critic of the "Tap to Play" functionality as there is, from the beta right up till today. But this silly notion that Sonos is somehow "disrespecting" their community by not explaining every change they make is silly, especially when they have explained it already. They want Sonos' interface to better resemble the standalone apps of services like Spotify, Google Play Music, and Apple Music. Not so coincidentally, the change came right before Sonos released their first incantation of Direct Control from 3rd party apps, so even if they hadn't come right out and stated the reason, just from the subsequent release one could glean that they are looking for a more universal look and feel.

Now, we can (and believe me, I HAVE!) argue that the interface of a one-user personal music app does not translate well to a multi-user environment. We can (ditto) argue that the party mode is ruined by Tap to Play clearing a queue. We can argue that a "jukebox" mode that locks out the queue and only allows adding at the end is needed to counteract the horrible Tap to Play function in a party environment. What we can't argue is Sonos hasn't told us why they did what they did, nor can we argue we are entitled to know every little detail as to whys, whats, wheres, whos, and hows of the decision, or if there is anything new coming. We don't own the company, they do. Thus, they are entitled to keep their secrets, we are entitled to spend our money where we wish.