Answered

Is there an alternative use for a Bridge?

• 18 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have just removed my bridge from my setup and all working fine on a wireless basis. This was originally due to the bridge failing (it was actually the power line (which can be replaced)).

Is there any alternative use for the bridge eg to extend wifi? Any polite thoughts appreciated.  

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 18 February 2020, 23:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi Ian_82

In truth the Bridge is an obsolete product that was replaced with the Sonos Boost. There are much better products to use to extend your home wi-fi other than the Bridge. It’s primary purpose was to create the SonosNet to compensate for less than adequate home wi-fi. By your own admission your wi-fi seems to be handling Sonos and other wireless products without issue. I’d just retire the Bridge to a closet or shelf in the garage. :wink:

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No good uses for it as the radio is ancient and only supports SonosNet v1.0 which is not a good option, If you need an extender a Boost or inexpensive speaker will do the job much better.

A Bridge or Boost will only extend SonosNet, they are not able to extend home WiFi, which means that a system running over SonosNet is required for “alternative use” of Bridge or Boost for Spanning Tree Protocol is only active in SonosNet mode.