Answered

Is there a list of serial numbers for recycled products?

• 19 February 2020
  • 11 replies

I'm considering an aftermarket purchase from ebay, but would really like to know if the product(s) have been previously recycled.   

I'd also like to know how to tell if a product that is being sold for parts, actually doesnt work, or if it is user error and they are just fed up with the tech part of sonos.  

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 19 February 2020, 01:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

None of these are the responsibility of Sonos, more’s the pity. The seller of the item is responsible for providing that information. It’s most unfortunate that there are unscrupulous sellers in that market, but unless the devices were sent in to Sonos and then resold by Sonos themselves, there isn’t any way for Sonos to enforce that. When buying from a non Sonos authorized dealer, you only have the legal remedies that apply to the website in which the item was listed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi BigFrank316, I’ll pass along the request to the team, but there isn’t currently a way to find out if a device has been recycled that’s publicly available. 

Just like any other purchase from an unauthorized seller or second hand market, there’s no way of knowing for certain what the state of the device is. Even before recycling a device had been possible, there wasn’t any way of knowing if a speaker was still functioning, aside from plugging it in and testing it out. We recommend only purchasing Sonos devices from authorized resellers where they’ll have warranty from us.

The reason I ask is, if someone hits the recycle button and starts the process, shouldn't sonos keep track of what products they are actually recycling?  

I would think that the company would want a record of such devices, so they can track how many manufactured devices have actually been recycled vs how many are being left behind via no more updates etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I just made a slight edit to the above message to clarify. We have the ability to see what devices have been recycled and can look up if a certain device has been, but there’s no way that’s available to everyone to look that up.

Understood.  Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ask them for a screen-shot of the zone player info status page, the last line is the trade/deactivation status.

http://172.16.1.111:1400/support/review (use the device's IP here, not mine)

You can also check the serial number on a Connect, 2016 can't be traded, 2014 can, trade cutoff may be March of 15 but I have no hard data on that.

Ask them for a screen-shot of the zone player info status page, the last line is the trade/deactivation status.

You can also check the serial number on a Connect, 2016 can't be traded, 2014 can, trade cutoff may be March of 15 but I have no hard data on that.

Alas, they can. The serialnumber of my Connect starts with [1605] 00-0. Although it was manufactured in May 2016 it’s been marked as “Legacy”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Alas, they can. The serialnumber of my Connect starts with [1605] 00-0. Although it was manufactured in May 2016 it’s been marked as “Legacy”.

Have you checked that recently? I believe that there was a bug allowing some newer Connects to be marked as legacy, but now only ones produced prior to that 2015 changeover should be legacy and eligible for trading up.

@Ryan S, Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, as recently as yesterday. Odd, a fortnight ago the Connect was labelled as “Modern Product”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

That’s definitely odd, if you’d like to PM me the serial number for that Connect I’m happy to check it out. Wonder if it’s getting flagged due to a new bug. 

Will do. Thanks again, Ryan.