Is the Port a true successor to the ZP90/Connect?

• 5 November 2019
  • 11 replies

Badge +4

I have been using my ZP90/”Connect” for at least the past five years to direct the Sonos signal to my NAD integrated amplifier (3120) so I can listen to Sonos-sourced content through the speakers attached to the amp (B&W 686s plus subwoofer). I simply use RCA cables to connect the line-out jacks on the Connect to a line-in terminal on the NAD.

I’m now considering trading up to the Sonos Port under the new trade-up program. Will I be able to have the same setup with the Port that I now have on the Connect?

Thanks for any and all advice..

Howard

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I bought the ZP90/Connect in March 2009 as part of the old BU150 bundle (I just looked it up), so it’s almost 11 years old. The trade-up discount on the Port is 30%. I’ve decided to go for the trade-up given the age of my Connect component.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

Howard

FWIW, assuming your Connect is in good condition, you’d probably get more for it on eBay than the discount Sonos is offering, and someone else would then get to enjoy it instead of it landing in a dumpster.

Personally, I’d keep it.

Yes, and if you’re going to stick with an analog connection the Port’s internal DAC is understood to be a bit better. 

Badge +4

Thanks. Your reply hints I should consider something more advanced than an analog connection. Is there a digital connection that would be better?

I don't see any reason to trade up unless your device is over 8 years old and therefore perhaps in its end of service life phase. Or if you need any feature that is added to the Port. Or if the trade up yields a decent discount - I would call 50% or more decent - on the new Port.

I doubt that the referred “better” will stand up and be so established in a controlled blind listening test.

In both cases, a digital connection will bypass the Sonos DACs and use those in a downstream device - again, this is almost certainly not worth it unless you have another DAC you have invested in, that you want to put to use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To me it looks like Sonos will stop supporting their hardware with less than 64MB of memory at some point in the future, hence the Trade Up program for those devices. I’d upgrade if you can, and then wont have to worry for another ten? years (the Port has a total of 1GB).

Badge +4

I bought the ZP90/Connect in March 2009 as part of the old BU150 bundle (I just looked it up), so it’s almost 11 years old. The trade-up discount on the Port is 30%. I’ve decided to go for the trade-up given the age of my Connect component.

Howard

Howard

FWIW, assuming your Connect is in good condition, you’d probably get more for it on eBay than the discount Sonos is offering, and someone else would then get to enjoy it instead of it landing in a dumpster.

Personally, I’d keep it.

The Port is $400, so the trade up is worth $120.   If you sold on ebay you’d have to sell for $120 plus whatever fee ebay takes and shipping to match trade up.  Are 11 year old Sonos products holding that much value?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Howard

Personally, I’d keep it.

The Port is $400, so the trade up is worth $120.   If you sold on ebay you’d have to sell for $120 plus whatever fee ebay takes and shipping to match trade up.  Are 11 year old Sonos products holding that much value?

Probably. At least worth checking, don’t you think?

If you’re comfortable with going through the process of selling off ebay, sure.

Badge +2

yes, a working connect will readily fetch $120 or more on Ebay.  At least for now.  we’ll see what happens when the market is flooded by bricked units that should have been recycled per their latest scheme...

I’ve decided to go for the trade-up given the age of my Connect component.

Good decision given the age, assuming your specific unit qualifies for the trade up. I would go the ebay route only if it does not.