Question

Is sound clearer and crisper with two Fives or sonos ones as the rear speakers

• 22 October 2020
  • 4 replies

I have an arc, gen2 sub and two ones as my rear speakers but am considering upgrading to fives if I can get a cleaner, crisper sound on audio tracks. I like the original Bose low mid sound and can’t get the equalizer to make it happen.  Funny enough, I can on the Move. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I replaced my Ones with Fives as the rear surrounds for my Arc/Sub because I wasn’t 100% happy with the sound quality when listening to music.

As surrounds for home theatre viewing I thought the Ones were fine as all they needed to do was provide the rear channel surround effects.

When listening to music, I though they lacked depth and volume.

In my opinion the Fives make a big difference when listening to music. But if you are used to listening to a quality hi-fi setup with the stereo speakers placed in front of you, then it takes a while to adjust to hearing the main body of sound coming from behind you.  

At the end of the day it is very subjective. If you live in a country where the Sonos no quibble return policy is in place, why not order a pair and try them. I think if you do, you won’t be sending them back though :grin:

In my opinion the Fives make a big difference when listening to music. But if you are used to listening to a quality hi-fi setup with the stereo speakers placed in front of you, then it takes a while to adjust to hearing the main body of sound coming from behind you.  

Presumably this is when the set up is moved to music mode - in TV mode, I doubt the change to 5 is noticed.

But even if this is so, the second sentence is on target. What is one used to for listening to music play determines the outcome, and I also tend to agree that if one listens to the way that the set up plays in music mode for some time, one will get used to that over time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Agree Kumar. To clarify, I don’t think the Fives make a big difference when in TV/Home Theatre mode. In my opinion the difference is only significant when in music mode.  

In music mode, I have Music Playback set to “Full” not “Ambient” and Music Level set to +7.

In music mode, I have Music Playback set to “Full” not “Ambient” and Music Level set to +7.

So for the OP this is another thing to try out in addition to the experiment I have suggested in his other thread.