Is Sonos port best solution for zone 1?

• 26 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

We have two Sonos ones with a Sonos sub in our kitchen  (zone 3) and a pair of smallish Paradigm speakers in our living room with a sub (zone 2) now running off a sonos amp in lieu of Zone 2 on our avr as it is easier to launch from the phone and we use it more--especially the wife.  We stream amazon music in those zones more than anything but can use the Sonos amp to play CD’s etc from our Library/HT/main listening area (Zone 1).  I am getting an Apple TV for the Library and that can stream amazon music to the AVR and then to the two other zones but it is a bit clunky.  I had some help with fishing wires by an electrician who also helps with HT and he said best to get a Sonos port and use the digital coax out to the avr to keep it simple.  I suppose I can run everything form the Sonos amp then but still need to trigger the avr and have the correct source chosen.  I am confused by the choices and appreciate any comments. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @OlyEndoMike, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community :)

It does sound like a Port would make sense here - just to confirm, you currently have a Sonos system, and a separate speaker system run off your AVR?

Mind providing the model of the AVR so we can take a look at all of the available connections?

Badge

Hi,

Thank you for thinking about this.

Yes to both questions. Sonos gear now— pair of Sonos ones with sub (zone 1),  Sonos amp for zone 2.  

I currently have an Anthem 1140– traded in NAD T757.   The Anthem has a two channel line out that I can hook up to my Sonos amp and stream Amazon music from Apple TV   zone 1  as well as Sonos zone 2 and kitchen Sonos zone 3.   Zone 1 would not be a Sonos zone in that configuration.  The Anthem has digital coax connection too that could hook up to a Sonos port for zone 1 Sonos solution. The multiple possible solutions are confusing to those with limited experience.  Appreciate any opinions/guidance.