Question

Is it a good time to buy Play 5?

• 4 November 2016
  • 4 replies

I'm considering buying two Play 5s and am concerned that as soon as I buy them, Gen 3 will come out. And I would like to wait for an integration with Echo, but if that's a long wait, I can't hold out 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Going by history, gen3 is some ways - at least one year - away, and not worth waiting for. And even when released, Sonos does a very decent job of upgrading existing kit for free, and the present 5 unit is well equipped with the hardware needed for future upgrades.

Echo integration will happen in phases in terms of functionality, is my guess, and will start in the first half of 2017.
Userlevel 7
Hmmm......I've seen reviews on the Play 5 (Gen1) dating back to 2009. The Play 5 (Gen2) wasn't released until late Q4 of 2015. I'd say you're safe to purchase a Play 5 (Gen2) without worry of obsolescence for a few years :8

Get the Play 5 (Gen2)_you won't be disappointed.

Cheers!
And if you're in the UK I wouldn't wait, given the weakness of the pound I can't imagine UK prices staying as low as they are for very long.
Hmmm......I've seen reviews on the Play 5 (Gen1) dating back to 2009. The Play 5 (Gen2) wasn't released until late Q4 of 2015. I'd say you're safe to purchase a Play 5 (Gen2) without worry of obsolescence for a few years

Fundamentally I agree completely with @AjTrek1. I would just point out that the gen 1 Play:5 has been superseded, but is not obsolete. It functions as it has always done - indeed better because of software/firmware enhancements such as Trueplay. In fact, Sonos' earliest products, the ZP80 and ZP100 are still in use in many systems. Sonos' record on back-compatibility is second to none in the tech world, IMO.