Question

integrating Onkyo TX-NR609 with Sonos connect

• 11 August 2019
  • 3 replies

I have a nice surround audio system operating on Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver. Would love to hook a Sonos connect to be able to control and stream via sonos app. My Onkyo TX-NR receiver, however, is not under Onkyo’s “works with Sonos” list. Does it mean that there is no way I can have my current audio system work with Sonos connect? Please assist as I truly wish to have the Sonos streaming “cooperating” with my system. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

A Connect would work fine as it is. It can output to a suitable input on your receiver (digital or analog) and, if you have other Sonos players around the house, you can optionally feed an analog 'rec out' signal back from the receiver to the Connect's Line-In.

The 'Works with Sonos" bit is simply to enable a Sonos controller to directly alter the volume level and EQ in a compatible downstream amp/receiver, i.e. one which is network-enabled and can interface with the appropriate Sonos cloud API. It would also switch the receiver to the correct input. It's entirely optional.
Okay. Thanks much!
As ratty said, it will work fine. I had a ZP90 (old version of a Connect) working with a 607 for years. I've just changed to a 686 that 'supports Sonos' and it only does things like switching on the receiver when the music starts playing - clever, but I've turned it all off.