Integrating Hi-Fi with Sonos, Preamp/Amp, no-lag

• 15 February 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi there!

I’m trying to wrap my head around one issue with integrating Sonos and my Hi-Fi setup and I’m open for any advice or suggestions that might solve the issue:

I have Sonos around my flat. In my living room I have a Hifi system with a turntable. So far, I either listen to my records or I stream. For that there are a pair of Play:5 sitting right next to my old loudspeakers. I wish to marry my stereo with Sonos. The reason I didn’t do it so far is the lag when streaming analog audio while using the Hifi system simultaneously. My space is very open, the rest of the flat lagging behind the main room is no option at all.

My setup consists of a Pro-Ject Pre Box DS2 with two mono power amps behind. No I had the following thought;

Putting Sonos in between pre- and power amp would get rid of the streaming lag, but at the same time all my analog audio would go through Sonos DAC. Am I right here?

If this is right, the Sonos Port should have something like an “analog signal through” option. Because if not, all audio going to the power amp would always go through the Port’s DAC. (Which is not a good thing when I just like to listen to a record on the Hifi setup). 

Does the Port do something like that?

If not, has anybody solved this issue?

Sebastian

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Putting Sonos in between pre- and power amp would get rid of the streaming lag, but at the same time all my analog audio would go through Sonos DAC. Am I right here?

That’s correct. Plus the ADC where the analog input is initially digitised.

If this is right, the Sonos Port should have something like an “analog signal through” option. Because if not, all audio going to the power amp would always go through the Port’s DAC. (Which is not a good thing when I just like to listen to a record on the Hifi setup). 

Does the Port do something like that?

No, it works the same way as other Sonos kit. The signal is digitised on input. The volume adjustment and EQ are both in the digital domain, plus there’s an expectation that the signal is likely to be sent over the network in some shape or form.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

If the A/D converter in the Port is anywhere near as good as what’s in the Sonos Amp you should have a very difficult time hearing any drop off in quality listening to your turntable via the Port.

I would connect the port to the tape loop of the preamp and select tape when you want to listen to the turntable with your Hi-Fi system along with other your other Sonos devices.  

Select phono when you want to only listen to your Hi-Fi setup speaker in “all analog”.  Ungroup the other Sonos devices when listening to just the Hi-Fi/turntable.

The Pre Box DS2 doesn’t appear to have a tape monitor loop. 

The Pre Box DS2 doesn’t appear to have a tape monitor loop. 

That’s true. It has 3x line level outs (fixed/variable/sub).

If the A/D converter in the Port is anywhere near as good as what’s in the Sonos Amp you should have a very difficult time hearing any drop off in quality listening to your turntable via the Port.

I had the Amp at home for testing, brought it back to my dealer. I‘m NOT a super high-end-wannabe-nitpicker, but even my wife could hear the difference between two audiophile monoblocks and the Sonos Amp. And the amps itself are not much more expensive than Sonos Amp!

I really like the Sonos system and I can clearly see the use case for Amp and also some for Port. But I think that both can‘t live up to the expectations of many people who buy audiophile grade setups. And I think that is exactly where Port should have its place. Or something like a Port-HiFi. Anyway, I‘m not here to ramble but to (hopefully) find a solution to my setup.

One possible solution could be a line switcher. But if the convenience of Sonos Port playing automatically over the Hi-Fi setup, that Switcher would‘ve to be placed in front of the power amps and it would either need a 12V trigger or automatic switching. And I guess that this either doesn‘t exist or will downgrade the signal much more than the ADACing the signal through Port.

What do you think?

You said the Play:5s are right next to the conventional speakers. Are the latter any good? To be honest, if they are, and you also have a quality DAC/pre plus monoblocs in place, the cleanest option would be to trade in the P:5s and simply add a Port to the rest of the HiFi kit to provide the streaming bit. You could pick and choose between the Port’s own DAC or the options available in the Pre Box DS2.

Certainly chaining a Port between the pre and the poweramps would be messy. Switchers likewise.

You said the Play:5s are right next to the conventional speakers. Are the latter any good?

Yes, in my opinion the Play:5 is a very good speaker. But I don’t think they are superb or audiophile speakers by any means. (And I think they’d never intended to be that.) Especially when the source is a streaming service, the P:5 are up to the job.

I compared them to a pair of B&W 801 (sadly not my own) and two QA Concept 300. Both sound very different but also a lot better, which means to me: more open, clearer, more transparent, wider … hard to describe but very obvious when listened to A/B. But again, I think this is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruit, end of similarities.

simply add a Port to the rest of the HiFi kit to provide the streaming bit.

So far, so good. I wouldn’t be posting here if I just wanted to play streaming audio through my hifi. But I love to listen to a record or a tape through my whole flat. This is the reason I traded some other streaming equipment for Sonos in the first place! And then I realised (too late), that there is a lag between the Hifi setup and all other speakers when stream an analog input. This is what I would love to get around.

Certainly chaining a Port between the pre and the poweramps would be messy. Switchers likewise.

Yes. And someone who gets Pro-Ject audio gear is certainly not after anything messy at all. 

While typing this I remembered, that the monoblocks can switch between RCA and XLR. That might be a viable solution. I will have to see if there’s crosstalk happening if for some reason, both inputs receive a signal.

Still – if someone has solved this issue somehow, I’d be interested!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There will always be a delay when using a line level input with Sonos. Since your preamp lacks a record selector, I would connect the line output on the preamp to the line input on the Play 5 and use the Play 5’s along with your other Sonos speakers when you want to stream the turntable throughout the house.  Save the mono blocks and passive speakers for more serious “analog” listening on their own.  

FYI, I have a couple Sonos Amps in a multi room setup being fed from about a 10k front end and they sound very good after being run in for about 100 hours. YMMV.